Pros and Cons of Rigid D-Ring on Hip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We do cave diving in Bosnia at approx. same temp. As well as open water in Northern Adriatic during winter. And everything can be clipped-unclipped with any type of gloves.

It's utterly amazing how dexterous you can be with dry gloves with a little bit of practice, even with insulated dry gloves...

Thanks. I have seen and tried this but it does not work in the Winter (dry gloves) and with the bottle clips.

It really depends how big your fingers are I suppose. I do this exact same thing with winter gloves on and it works fine. The snaps I use are the ones that Halcyon supplies, and they go on all my bottles. It minimizes the risk of dropping anything if I can get a finger through the swivel ring of the snap, especially in the cold.

Kane used to just wear a Tshirt when diving PNW. You guys must be a bunch of soccer players if you need more than that.

He was wearing a drysuit when I knew him ... no hood, though. I used to get a kick out of watching his students suddenly going hoodless. Not sure what they were trying to prove ... perhaps that they were brain dead. Giving away body heat to prove your manhood is not only a stupid thing to do, but it seems to contradict the safety-conscious mentality that DIR claims to promote.

I never could quite get my mind around that one ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

we need to make a list of "useless criticisms of DIR" which just display the author has no idea what they're talking about.

if you discard "only wear black" as just being laughable, the whole only-works-in-caves-not-in-cold-water has to be the #1 most useless argument about DIR that there is.

The people making those claims learned everything they know about DIR by reading Internet forums ... or by listening to some LDS employee who heard it from a friend ... :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you want to be DIR, use the non-fixed D-rings. They clearly work fine, even with dry gloves, as many, many folks have demonstrated. It just takes practice.

However, if you want to used welded D-rings, then use them. Just know going in that they're non-DIR. If you plan on going down the GUE or UTD training path, you'll want to learn to use the non-fixed variety.

Personally, I use the exact welded d-ring you reference on my left hip and the angled welded d-rings on my shoulders. I also put two on each shoulder. However, my training is through TDI. I respect the DIR philosophy and its adherents a great deal and much of my diving is influenced significantly by the DIR system. However, my rig is not 100% DIR. I know that and I'm fine with that. If I had decided to go down the GUE/UTD training path, I would have stuck with the non-fixed variety.

It's a decision you have to make based upon your diving and the training path you'll be pursuing.

I bet you might even have drysuit that isn't all black. I know my use of a "deluxe harness" with a shoulder release is sending me directly to hell.

Happy New Year

Personally, I use the exact welded d-ring you reference on my left hip and the angled welded d-rings on my shoulders. I also put two on each shoulder. However, my training is through TDI. I respect the DIR philosophy and its adherents a great deal and much of my diving is influenced significantly by the DIR system. However, my rig is not 100% DIR. I know that and I'm fine with that. If I had decided to go down the GUE/UTD training path, I would have stuck with the non-fixed variety.

It's a decision you have to make based upon your diving and the training path you'll be pursuing.

I have and use a combination of fixed and non fixed. It depends on the intended usage. I have never believed in the DIR doing it right crowd, I do what works for me and the diving I do. I sidemount my bailout stage so the right side hip is horizontally mounted to facilitate attachment of the carabiner attached to the stage. The right shoulder is non fixed. The left shoulder is fixed as it is a special fixture for my manual add valve for the breather.

There is no one way fits all way of doing things. Don't get snookered into believing there is.

Safe Diving

Dale

Hey, guys -- I'd like to politely remind you that the OP put this post in the DIR forum, which specifically states that you will get DIR answers. We all know there are lots of answers to any question anyone can ask; this restricted forum is for the DIR take on the topics. You're welcome to PM the OP with your opinions, but please do not post them here.

Yeah, Lynne. Spank 'em.

What I, a novice, find appealing about DIR is that it is a cohesive (!) philosophy that has proven itself in the most demanding environments.

There may be other 'solutions' to a specific problem but without an implicit guarantee that the 'solution' is compatible with other components or the team.

When I go diving I want to focus on controlling my mind and body to the point that I am submersed in a zen-like state and can truly comprehend and enjoy the environment around me.

Worrying whether a new 'bright idea' about gear configuration or procedures is really going to pan out in the bigger picture, while I may bet my life on it, is not my idea of relaxation.

DIR is the diving implentation of KISS. And simple is both robust and beautiful, IMHO.

PS: Thanks to everyone for the pictures and descriptions on how to tame DIR compliant hardware. Makes a whole lot more sense now and will be practiced tomorrow.

Last edited:
I bet you might even have drysuit that isn't all black. I know my use of a "deluxe harness" with a shoulder release is sending me directly to hell.

Happy New Year

Slighty off topic but in the spirit of Lynne's reminder:

The deadliness of QR buckles has been discussed in many threads. :D

Trust me, any time I wiggle myself in the HOG harness with a shoulder dump and glove rings adding a QR buckle looks very appealing. 30 seconds later, I am happy that it is absent. What is not there cannot fail, cannot be released accidentally (in a CF situation), and cannot confuse your team mates.

If the harness needs to come off quickly in an emergency you know exactly (!) where to find my cutting device - thanks to DIR compliance.

Happy New Year.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom