Pros and Cons of Rigid D-Ring on Hip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:popcorn: After years and years we still have the same type of posts: "Oh, I can't do that but my advice is change this and that and you'll be OK". My advice is as same as always: "Hit some water and practice a little bit."

Some weeks I do that three times per week - usually twice a week. Can't do more as I run my own business...

I don't have any skill issues. I've been diving with standard D-ring about six years and I'm totally OK with it. However with the bent D-ring it's even better.

I see where you are coming from. I know we are meant to stick the rules closest possible for our own good, but if it is an improvement of the rules/guides, this is when new rules/guides/recommendation are amended to the original. Purist should differentiate between good deviation and bad deviation of the original set of rules.

Cheers! :)

practice - is all there is to it, gloves or not it becomes second nature. gets more difficult with a stage but having everything fixed starts pulling on your harness, creating loops with the hoses, etc. . With a stage the D-ring moves with your stage as it gets lighter and becomes semi-fixed in place (ish..)
Either way practice it. i hate spearing myself with a fixed one (did it once and dumped the fixed D-ring out of the water). in wrecks definitly an enganglement hazard (but just about everything not sucked to you is), caves i can't speak to, OW well you'll have to decide but why bother? Leave it floating and get on with the diving.
best thing is to move up to a slighly larger bolt snap on your spg, allows you to get a (little) finger in the ring then use your pointer to hook the D-ring. after a few dives you forget about the whole process really.
Mines Flat - if you wondering and i use the 1" on my Spg, everything else is 0# (referenced from the size chart earlier) except my XXXXL's :)

There is a common saying in the DIR world, "An equipment solution to a technique problem." What it means is that it doesn't make sense to make compromises with equipment that is less flexible, more prone to problems, or non-standard, to accomodate a diver who doesn't want to practice enough to get smooth with the standard equipment we all use.

Clipping and unclipping the SPG is one of the harder motions to get down . . . but anybody can do it, and I know that because I mastered it. If the D-ring is in the right place, and the diver studies the tips and practices, he will get it. Why change the equipment to a less versatile arrangement, to accommodate someone's initial awkwardness? Enough practice will get rid of it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom