Proposed Water Taxi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gopbroek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Several weeks back I noticed that most of the Taxi's had signs on them protesting a proposed water taxi, by Ultramar. I heard that Ultramar was attempting to start a service from the southern cruise ship piers to the San Miguel dock @ a buck a head. At the time I heard were that they were able to circumvent the Taxi mafia’s political stranglehold because they had gotten federal permits for the service. But I also heard from others that they still lacked a required local permit which the Taxi Mafia was using to try to stop it. Anyone know the actual status? My personnel hope is that if Ultramar can get away with this, maybe a Collectivo or Bus service along Melgar to the South end and East side could also be tried, perhaps successfully this time around.

Sounds good

I've heard of the water taxi trying to get started & my wife said when she was there a couple of weeks ago, the taxi's had anti-water taxi signs on the back of their cabs, but haven't heard much more about it.

my question is will it work? doesn't the ferry run folks back and forth from the cruise ship piers when cruise ships are in port? I see them doing it all the time when we are there. Who would use it other than cruisers? Will they stop at various hotel piers and pickup and drop off as well? and possibly go to the resorts in the south? would it be able to make it in the slow season when there aren't that many ships in town?

I think it's a great idea, love the water taxi's in Chicago, just not sure of the feasibility of it over time.

I've heard of the water taxi trying to get started & my wife said when she was there a couple of weeks ago, the taxi's had anti-water taxi signs on the back of their cabs, but haven't heard much more about it.

my question is will it work? doesn't the ferry run folks back and forth from the cruise ship piers when cruise ships are in port? I see them doing it all the time when we are there. Who would use it other than cruisers? Will they stop at various hotel piers and pickup and drop off as well? and possibly go to the resorts in the south? would it be able to make it in the slow season when there aren't that many ships in town?

I think it's a great idea, love the water taxi's in Chicago, just not sure of the feasibility of it over time.
I have seen the Ultramar boats running up and down the coast as well, but I would just as soon those huge boats didn't stop at Blue Angel. Just my two peso's worth. Also, if water taxis became the norm, the increased boat traffic might make snorkeling off the shore a bit more hazardous; I doubt there are that many snorkelers in Lake Michigan. :D

I can understand why the taxi union would be against the idea, although I think it is silly and short sighted of them for them to harass citizens for occasionally giving a tourist a ride somewhere.

From what I've read the phrase "Water Taxi" is not a good description of what is being planned. As JFS above says the plan is for ultramar ferries to run a shuttle back and forth from the cruise ship piers to a pier in the downtown area. Not sure if its the main municipal pier or some other. Currently they do take cruise ship folks directly from the cruise ship piers across the channel to PDC for those folks on cruise ship excursions to Tulum ect on the mainland. Someone mentioned above they also run them to Passion Island? That could be. Not sure on that one. This new service would compliment those services and from what I've read would be included in the cost of the cruise for the passengers, thus it would be free to get a ride to El Centro and back. This could be a huge boon for the restaurants and businesses downtown that desperately need the business. Of course the taxistas only are concerned about theirs and oppose this big time. Its been estimated that the aqua taxis could bring at or in excess of 3,000 people a day to El Centro. Even if they each only spend a bit of money,that could help keep a number of eateries afloat during times that it seems that closings of long time favorites are becoming much to common.
Should be interesting to watch how this plays out. In the past the Taxistas have usually won these types of battles, but the fact they are in such an media battle over this one may indicate their political capital may not be adequate to squash this.

Rich

This new service would compliment those services and from what I've read would be included in the cost of the cruise for the passengers, thus it would be free to get a ride to El Centro and back. This could be a huge boon for the restaurants and businesses downtown that desperately need the business. Of course the taxistas only are concerned about theirs and oppose this big time.
Is it a crime for a business to want to defend its revenue stream, even at the expense of others'? I know that the taxi union is not popular on this board, but although I have no dog in this hunt, I don't see what they do as being any different from a lot of what goes on elsewhere. Here in the US, for example.

Several weeks back I noticed that most of the Taxi's had signs on them protesting a proposed water taxi, by Ultramar. I heard that Ultramar was attempting to start a service from the southern cruise ship piers to the San Miguel dock @ a buck a head. At the time I heard were that they were able to circumvent the Taxi mafia’s political stranglehold because they had gotten federal permits for the service. But I also heard from others that they still lacked a required local permit which the Taxi Mafia was using to try to stop it. Anyone know the actual status? My personnel hope is that if Ultramar can get away with this, maybe a Collectivo or Bus service along Melgar to the South end and East side could also be tried, perhaps successfully this time around.

Sounds good to me.

Taxis in Cozumel are insane. In fact, it would be nice if it stopped at a few places, including the marina.

flots

Is it a crime for a business to want to defend its revenue stream, even at the expense of others'? I know that the taxi union is not popular on this board, but although I have no dog in this hunt, I don't see what they do as being any different from a lot of what goes on elsewhere. Here in the US, for example.

it is not a crime, and, as a matter of fact, in the United States it is Constitutionally protected. And you are right, it is very common, both in Mexico and the United States. It is called "rent seeking" - attempting to obtain monetary or business advantages through the government by lobbying for political action. And, while not immoral or illegal, it is most definitely harmful to the economy. Yes, the taxi union and its members obtain benefits by maintaining the monopoly over transporting tourists, the resulting higher prices paid by tourists most definitely reduce the amount spent by tourists in other venues in Cozumel -- less money spent on souvenirs, less money spent on tshirts, less money spent in restaurants. And, if one is to believe the experience from the deregulation of airlines in the United States, less tourists overall. Rent-seeking is endemic whenever Governments exercise control over economic transactions. The only real cure is to rein in the scope of permissible government action. It's one reason I'm a libertarian.

it is not a crime, and, as a matter of fact, in the United States it is Constitutionally protected. And you are right, it is very common, both in Mexico and the United States. It is called "rent seeking" - attempting to obtain monetary or business advantages through the government by lobbying for political action. And, while not immoral or illegal, it is most definitely harmful to the economy. Yes, the taxi union and its members obtain benefits by maintaining the monopoly over transporting tourists, the resulting higher prices paid by tourists most definitely reduce the amount spent by tourists in other venues in Cozumel -- less money spent on souvenirs, less money spent on tshirts, less money spent in restaurants. And, if one is to believe the experience from the deregulation of airlines in the United States, less tourists overall. Rent-seeking is endemic whenever Governments exercise control over economic transactions. The only real cure is to rein in the scope of permissible government action. It's one reason I'm a libertarian.

I'd have to disagree about the morality of it. It may be common, and it may be legal, but I don't think it's moral. Neither there, nor in the United States.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom