New taxi problems on the horizon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Graduado

Contributor
Reaction score
I see some new taxi problems looming.

A large group of taxistas held a protest at city hall, demanding that 200 more taxi permits be issued. They say there aren't enough taxis (there are over 800 now) and they were promised (during an election campaign) to get more permits, but nothing has been done. So, they say if they don't get the permits. they will "disrupt the social peace of the island." The problem is, they were protesting the municipal government, which the taxistas admitted that they knew could do nothing about the situation, since the permits are issued by the state government. They said that by disrupting the traffic on the island and putting pressure on the municipal government, they hoped the municipal government would then pressure the state government to concede to their demands. They were also griping about the more than 300 new moto-cabs that are all operating illegally on the island, pointing out (correctly) that none of those moto-cabs have permits and have not been approved by the state government.

Hang onto your hats!

The island really needs Uber and Lyft badly. Somehow taxi service there just keeps getting worse from the perspective of actually being able to call a cab: they no longer respond through their Facebook page (which used to work somewhat well), and 2 weeks ago I called every published number multiple times and no one answered any number.

Finally walked to one of the main taxi offices and used my bad Spanish (dispatcher knew 0 English - I know it's Mexico, but come on, a huge portion of the people on the island any given day speak English). I let them know that I needed a van taxi to the airport for 5 people and lots of luggage at our Las Ventanas condo in 1 hour, and they said I would have to call them in an hour -- and I said no one is answering your phones, but they didn't care. Luckily a van taxi driver walked in while I was there and he was able to accommodate us.

They are a corrupt bunch who don't even try to provide good customer service. So it would be great if Uber and Lyft were finally allowed to operate on the island -- at least there would be more certainty.

They are a corrupt bunch who don't even try to provide good customer service. So it would be great if Uber and Lyft were finally allowed to operate on the island -- at least there would be more certainty.

It's especially frustrating when it would take little more effort for them to do a good job than a bad job. Like when a waiter taking your order frowns and looks bored versus smiles and looks attentive, they end up doing the same amount of work.

Looks like they are trying to kick the can down the road. The taxi union is getting 150 new PROVISIONAL taxi permits for new taxis to operate DOWNTOWN only and are supposed to be fitted out with GPS to insure they don't go to the tourist areas. We shall see...

Looks like they are trying to kick the can down the road. The taxi union is getting 150 new PROVISIONAL taxi permits for new taxis to operate DOWNTOWN only and are supposed to be fitted out with GPS to insure they don't go to the tourist areas. We shall see...
Probably a few connected taxi owners will get the bulk of the permits and then rent them out. Did you know that the driver that rents the taxi also has to pay a percentage of any commissions they make when they go to beach clubs. Many beach clubs pay commissions to the taxi driver if they bring them customers. Usually the owner of the taxi gets a bigger cut and not the driver who rents.

Probably a few connected taxi owners will get the bulk of the permits and then rent them out...
Many beach clubs pay commissions to the taxi driver if they bring them customers.
No, I don't think so this time. I'll bet these new (provisional and geographically limited) permits will go to the guys in the syndicate who have been waiting for years to get their permits. They were the ones picketing the city hall. A friend of mine waited in line over 20 years to get his permit, driving a rented cab in the meantime.

Most (if not all) permit owners rent out their taxi permits to drivers. That is one reason they are so strong politically; they form a huge voting block. Almost 900 taxi owners, 900 taxi owners' wives, 900 daytime drivers, 900 daytime drives' spouses, night shift drivers and their spouses, their adult children, etc.

It's not just the beach clubs that pay bounties to taxistas. Many restaurants and jewelry stores do, too. It also works in reverse. If a business owner takes a stand against the taxi syndicate, they will boycott his business. Remember when La Mission owner's son backed the water-taxi idea in an interview? After a few days of no taxis arriving at the restaurant, a big sign AGAINST water-taxis went up on their property and the taxistas began dropping off their fares there again.

No, I don't think so this time. I'll bet these new (provisional and geographically limited) permits will go to the guys in the syndicate who have been waiting for years to get their permits. They were the ones picketing the city hall. A friend of mine waited in line over 20 years to get his permit, driving a rented cab in the meantime.

Most (if not all) permit owners rent out their taxi permits to drivers. That is one reason they are so strong politically; they form a huge voting block. Almost 900 taxi owners, 900 taxi owners' wives, 900 daytime drivers, 900 daytime drives' spouses, night shift drivers and their spouses, their adult children, etc.

It's not just the beach clubs that pay bounties to taxistas. Many restaurants and jewelry stores do, too. It also works in reverse. If a business owner takes a stand against the taxi syndicate, they will boycott his business. Remember when La Mission owner's son backed the water-taxi idea in an interview? After a few days of no taxis arriving at the restaurant, a big sign AGAINST water-taxis went up on their property and the taxistas began dropping off their fares there again.
Ill bet that some went to the mayors brothers.....they have taxis. Its such a crooked business how they operate here with impunity.

Remember when La Mission owner's son backed the water-taxi idea in an interview? After a few days of no taxis arriving at the restaurant, a big sign AGAINST water-taxis went up on their property and the taxistas began dropping off their fares there again.
So, if during that time I had gotten into a taxi and asked to go to La Mission, the driver would have refused to take me there? I find that a little hard to believe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom