Proper HP spool to connect transmitter to HP hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am considering mounting the transmitter on a short hose instead of directly to the first stage. I am aware that there are three different types of HP spools that can be used when attaching an spg or transmitter to a hose, can you tell me which type of hp spool would be correct?

Thanks

Most transmitters that I have seen do not use a spool. The transmitter seals into the valve body with an o-ring, just like the hose. What I did was buy a 6" miflex hose. This was to keep it along side the tank and prevent goofs from using it to lift with. The spool end has a wide flat boss where the spool goes. The nut is deeper than the than the male end of the transmitter. So, I cut a 3/32" crush washer from a piece of rigid copper schedule 80 tubing. The washer crushes and seals, leaving the o-ring just visible. All of my transmitters are mounted this way, and no leaks or blow-outs have occurred. You can buy crush washers in different diameters and thickness's. I don't think I would recommend nylon.

OkByMe: Thanks for the information but I was really hoping for a more "off the shelf" way to do this. I will need to check but I thought most people who wanted to use a short hose just used a spool when connecting a transmitter to such a hose. I know that no spool is used when connecting the transmitters to a first stage, but thought they were necessary for a proper seal on an hp hose. I am not familiar with crush washers and don't think I want to experiment. Was hoping maybe someone from Liquivision could make a suggestion.

I assumed (and you know what they say about that :)) that three different spools meant that different gauges, and by extension perhaps different transmitters, would utilize different spools. I have a few SPGs around and I could pull them apart but I am also pretty sure I have one or two spare spools around somewhere. I just figured Liquivision would be able to tell me pretty easily what was right. Perhaps I will need to do a little experimentation.

I purchased a 6" MiFlex hose and a spool (used for a Hog SPG) from my local dive shop. I tested it out in the pool and everything seems to be working just fine.

Looking at the link that awap posted - part # AA87 - "HP Swivel/Spindle" looks a very similar to the one I have in my setup.

Found the exact spool I used - scroll to the bottom -
http://divegearexpress.com/regulators/spgsonly.shtml

I purchased a 6" MiFlex hose and a spool (used for a Hog SPG) from my local dive shop. I tested it out in the pool and everything seems to be working just fine.

Looking at the link that awap posted - part # AA87 - "HP Swivel/Spindle" looks a very similar to the one I have in my setup.

Found the exact spool I used - scroll to the bottom -
http://divegearexpress.com/regulators/spgsonly.shtml

If connecting the Liquivision T1 transmitter to an HP hose, you need to use a spool, and the industry standard spools work fine.

I would mention that using a 6" hose to the T1 is okay if using the Lynx as a solo computer. But you are using buddy mode and long range operation, having the T1 hanging off a hose may cause shadows and compromise long range operation. The Lynx long range specs are qualified for when the T1 is screwed directly into the first stage.

Eric Fattah

I am considering mounting the transmitter on a short hose instead of directly to the first stage. I am aware that there are three different types of HP spools that can be used when attaching an spg or transmitter to a hose, can you tell me which type of hp spool would be correct?

Thanks

Ok... I found what you are looking for, try this:

Adapter Fitting for Probe Connection Computer to HP Hose USA | eBay

I have bought from them before and they are a great source of gear at excellent prices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom