Question Transmitter on a short hose: good disconnection practice?

What to disconnect

• 1) Disconnect everything

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2) Just the hose

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • 3) Just the transmitter

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • 4) I don't disconnect anything

Votes: 26 86.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Voted - just the transmitter. I use a Sunnto QuickDisconnect at the end of the short 6” or less hose. The reg stays on a hanger together with my BP/W and wetsuit hung to drip dry overnight at the dive shop everyday the entire week - wherever I go vacation diving, while the DC on my wrist and Transmitter go back to the hotel room with me. The QD metal connector has an endcap to keep the dust or dirt out while it stays back unplugged from the Transmitter.
Does the quick disconnect tool also shut down the flow of gas? That is, if I open the tank with it disconnected, will I be ok or I need to put some king of plug?

Does the quick disconnect tool also shut down the flow of gas. That is, if I open the tank with it disconnected, will I be ok or I need to put some king of plug?
I think not. I asked this same question myself when I first got the QD, but decided against experimenting with and assumed it would blow out all the gas. I am careful to disconnect only when the reg is unscrewed. All that the short hose (that screws into the HP port) has is a removable spindle similar to the one used in the connection point of an analog pressure gauge and the QD is just a metal frame with a quick release twist and disconnect mechanism that is attached to the short hose. Saves you time in unthreading, that’s all…

if someone grabs the transmitter as a handle won't the regulator rotate until the transmitter is vertical and no longer usable as a handle? Won't the rotation take the lateral stress off the transmitter?

I have a compact Mares 62X. Four LP ports (upper part) and two HP ports (bottom part). Picture below. I was thinking about the short hose to avoid a situation many described, that is someone grabbing the tank using the transmitter as a handle.

Which is why I plug in the flexible short hose into the 1st stage and then the metal QD into the short hose… Pic for reference below. Nobody will be tempted to use the transmitter as a handle because of the flexible short hose…

GPTempDownload.jpeg

if someone grabs the transmitter as a handle won't the regulator rotate until the transmitter is vertical and no longer usable as a handle? Won't the rotation take the lateral stress off the transmitter?
I don't think so. When I have mine set up, mounted on the tank and the tank on the BCD (back inflate), with the system pressurized, I just don't think it would rotate that much. There just wouldn't be enough room to rotate it that far. At least mine wouldn't.

Does the quick disconnect tool also shut down the flow of gas? That is, if I open the tank with it disconnected, will I be ok or I need to put some king of plug?
In short no. I often remove mine when still under pressure, same is the jacket hose. Sometimes I’ve forgotten to attach the transmitter and fitted it under full pressures 300bar.

In short no. I often remove mine when still under pressure, same is the jacked hose. Sometimes I’ve forgotten to attach the transmitter and fitted it under full pressures 300bar.
You mean it has a blocking mechanism if transmitter is unplugged? Mine does have a spring mechanism when unplugging so maybe that spring actually closes the port - I didn’t dare to try ever though…

I have a compact Mares 62X. Four LP ports (upper part) and two HP ports (bottom part). Picture below. I was thinking about the short hose to avoid a situation many described, that is someone grabbing the tank using the transmitter as a handle.

View attachment 796632

Given the orientation of the ports on that reg, which is very similar to my Aqua Lung regs, just how would someone grab the transmitter as a handle? The transmitter will sit below either one or two LP hoses (depending upon the side you put the transmitter), in front of the tank value and behind your BCD/Wing? How is someone going to grab it as a handle?

I have seen some regs on boats where the transmitter is sticking out on the side or even upward above the hoses. That is the type of orientation that can cause issues with someone grabbing the transmitter.

I have seen some regs on boats where the transmitter is sticking out on the side or even upward above the hoses. That is the type of orientation that can cause issues with someone grabbing the transmitter.
That's exactly how mine is. It definitely looks like a convenient handle as it sticks above the reg. Especially if you are handing it up out of the water like it is usually done in my diving. I've also knocked it a couple of time when going under things I thought I cleared.
Didn't know a disconnect was available for it though. I would definitely add that. Gonna see if I can find it online, preferably through Amazon...

Why? So there's not a hose hanging if you dive without?

I don't dive this way, but curious.

I'll send you a pic of my kit later tonight for you to understand what I mean. It would only work the way I mentioned. I just came home from a day of diving and exploring a new dive site, too tired to even move my toes :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom