Question Transmitter on a short hose: good disconnection practice?

What to disconnect

• 1) Disconnect everything

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2) Just the hose

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • 3) Just the transmitter

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • 4) I don't disconnect anything

Votes: 26 86.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tdp92

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I'm thinking of purchasing my first transmitter and fitting it on a short hose. What is the general practice to disconnect the transmitter from the first stage (for travel/storage)? (Legend: T = transmitter, H = hose, S = first stage)
  1. Disconnecting the hose from the first stage and disconnecting the transmitter from the hose (T -/- H -/- S)
  2. Disconnecting the hose from the first stage and keeping the transmitter connected to the hose (T - H -/- S)
  3. Keeping the hose connected to the first stage and disconnecting the transmitter from the hose (T -/- H -- S)
Thanks.

I didn't vote in the poll because you didn't include "I don't disconnect my transmitter". I never remove my transmitters from my regulators.

I remove my transmitters for two things:
  • Battery replacement ... some transmitters (SWIFTs for example) are far easier to do a battery swap with them removed
  • Reg service ... I don't send in my transmitters when I send in my regs for service
Other than the above, they stay on my regs. I also don't use a short-hose. I used to and came to find the practice unnecessary for the style of regs that I have and the type of diving that I do.

I didn't vote in the poll because you didn't include "I don't disconnect my transmitter". I never remove my transmitters from my regulators.

I remove my transmitters for two things:
  • Battery replacement ... some transmitters (SWIFTs for example) are far easier to do a battery swap with them removed
  • Reg service ... I don't send in my transmitters when I send in my regs for service
Other than the above, they stay on my regs. I also don't use a short-hose. I used to and came to find the practice unnecessary for the style of regs that I have and the type of diving that I do.
If one is not diving on a live aboard, often the gear is moved in bags from the dive-site/harbor to the dive center (and viceversa). Usually the bag are piled up in the back of some van/pick-up. It is not the safest mean of transportation for delicate equipment.

If one is not diving on a live aboard, often the gear is moved in bags from the dive-site/harbor to the dive center (and viceversa). Usually the bag are piled up in the back of some van/pick-up. It is not the safest mean of transportation for delicate equipment.
I don't like other people touching my ****, not ever. I would also vote for "I don't disconnect my transmitter".

I have read of people using a quick disconnect to remove the tranmitter... if I had to I guess I would get one of these and put it between the hose and the trans?

If the regulators are properly stored in a protective bag, I see little risk. If you have your regs in a bag that you feel protects the regs, it will also protect the transmitter. They aren't as "delicate" as you seem to think.

With that said, the situation you describe does not apply to my diving. For the type of diving that I do, I have not found the need to remove the transmitter. Given the situation you describe, I would probably choose the keep the entire reg bag, transmitters, and computers all with me in a backpack and not transported in the back of a van or pickup.

Just my two cents. I don't see many who regularly remove their transmitters, but those that do seem to use a QD.

if I had to I guess I would get one of these and put it between the hose and the trans?
No, between the hose and first stage. Hose stays on transmitter. Short hose, 15 - 20 cm

long SPG hose (clips to chest D-ring), two way splitter block with a button gauge, a QD, and my transmitter.
Any pics?

That sounds interesting. I still haven't removed my spg off the left post (just lazy). I know a lot of people have gotten rid of the spg all together

Back
Top Bottom