Problem with valve in new Worthington HP130?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The air is coming out of the relief hole in the side of the DIN body and your obvious O-ring is in place.......

It sounds like you spun the connector apart. In order to create the swivel of the threaded hand knob the connector is at least a 3 piece affair. Part 1 actually mounts to the regulator. Part 2 is the threaded hand wheel. Part 3 is the retaining stem that holds the hand wheel on part 1. It usually has a hex socket in the center. There is an o-ring buried in there between part 1 and 3 that closes the air path. I believe part 1 and 3 have broken free from each other.

That center part with the hex is probably chrome plated (soft) brass so work gently. See if it will unscrew. If so, spin it out and inspect the o-ring. Replace the ring if it got damaged. Other side gently re-torque it. A little bit of service removable Loctite is not uncommon here.

This usually happens if the regulator is rotated after it is mounted and pressurized. This internal DIN assembly joint is the weak link and it breaks away.

Note, I don't have an Apex experience but this sounds very (Sherwood) familiar.

Pete

Leadking jogged my memory:
"Check that the allen screw at the o-ring is tight."

Streetdoctor, ABSOLUTELY check the allen screw at the back of the threaded portion of the reg!

I think that you will find that it is a little loose, or a lot loose.
BUT< go easy, there are o rings inside that little bugger.
I have had this problem before myself.
I always open up (unscrew) the back of the DIN threads and look down inside and make sure that things are looking kosher.
I think this may be the problem, and if not, at least you have eliminated one of the possibilities.

(Thanks Leadking)

Good Luck!
Chug

This has happened to me twice and there has been absolutely nothing wrong with the equipment but with my technique.

I set up my gear, checked the reg o-ring (everything OK), screw the reg in, pressurized but because of whatever distraction I did not screw the reg in all the way before turning gas on. I stopped, and just screw the reg in properly. I turned the valve again but there's a leak from the pin hole still.

Upon removing the reg, the o-ring seemed to be nicely in the groove but upon closer inspection it was actually lifted evenly and not sealing. The blow-out from the screw-up had displaced it. By screwing it again I actually once nicked the o-ring as a result of not totally removing the reg but it still sank back to its groove and looked all nice. I have since wisened up and remove a reg if I have blown air to flutter the o-ring around.

Both O-rings in the regulator look fine. I tried a yoke reg and it worked fine so it's definitely my reg. Unfortunately I have a middle ear infection with barotrauma to my eardrum and the pain doesn't allow me to do to much. Once I'm feeling better I'll swap out the O-rings anyways and see what happens. Thanks for all the help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom