Problem w/ Atomic Sub-Frame?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeny9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,

I have an Atomic Sub-Frame mask which I liked at first because it sealed well on my face. After wearing the mask for about 45 min, I noticed there is a ridge on the skirt that presses right between my eyes. At depth this is fairly pronounced, and after three 45-min dives in one day I had a bruise between my eyes.

I thought maybe I had the mask too tight, so I loosened it just enough to create a seal at 15 ft, but I could still feel that ridge of the skirt pushing into my forehead. I thought maybe the mask I bought had a weak skirt, so I bought another Sub-Frame, and had same problem.

I was at an LDS in San Diego this past weekend and I overheard one of their OW students complaining about the same problem and was asking to swap the mask out. I was sad to hear he was having the same problem as me but glad in a way to realize I wasn't the only one.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I have been using a subframe for four years and it is not a problem for me. Do you have the regular or medium version? It could be an issue with forehead shape that makes not be a perfect fit???

I have been using a subframe for four years and it is not a problem for me. Do you have the regular or medium version? It could be an issue with forehead shape that makes not be a perfect fit???

I have the regular version. My forehead sticks out a bit but I don't have a normal size head. It seems like if the skirt was a little tougher it wouldn't cave in as much and that ridge wouldn't push up against my forehead.

Hi @mikeny9 ,

We are sorry to hear about your bad experience. However, it sounds more like a problem with the fit than the quality of the mask. It is almost impossible to make one mask that will fit everyone. That is why Atomic, and just about every other mask manufacturer, makes several different types of masks. We would suggest you try one of our frameless masks. You can check out our selection of frameless masks here: Atomic Aquatics Frameless and SubFrame Masks

Keep in mind...As with all masks, tight is not always better. Make sure you don't make the strap too tight.

Hi there,

I have an Atomic Sub-Frame mask which I liked at first because it sealed well on my face. After wearing the mask for about 45 min, I noticed there is a ridge on the skirt that presses right between my eyes. At depth this is fairly pronounced, and after three 45-min dives in one day I had a bruise between my eyes.

I thought maybe I had the mask too tight, so I loosened it just enough to create a seal at 15 ft, but I could still feel that ridge of the skirt pushing into my forehead. I thought maybe the mask I bought had a weak skirt, so I bought another Sub-Frame, and had same problem.

I was at an LDS in San Diego this past weekend and I overheard one of their OW students complaining about the same problem and was asking to swap the mask out. I was sad to hear he was having the same problem as me but glad in a way to realize I wasn't the only one.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Why would depth make any difference? Try exhaling through your nose occasionally . Perhaps change the angle of the strap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom