Primary Light - Hand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Brian, I can agree with you in a way, I respect your opinion if you consider that using the light mainly on the right hand is unacceptable,

It's not my opinion. This is the DIR forum. I gave a DIR answer.

but in this case what would be wrong is the light in the right hand not Botton timer/gauge in the left hand, this would be the consequence. I use it that way because for me makes no sense to use botton timer/gauge in the same hand as the primary light, don't you agree?

Gauges on the right hand, light on the left is the DIR setup because when (or if) you move on to scootering then your right hand is on the trigger and your light is on your left hand.

Also you want the light in your left hand because if you have to donate gas, then your right hand is the one doing the work (passing the primary, untucking the primary, etc). You don't want to be futzing around switching your light around when your buddy is asking for gas.

oh geez...why is it that posts in this area start with some variation of "it's not DIR but..."?

Rules-
6) The answers in this forum are member's best attempts to answer questions within, and according the DIR diving philosophy. If you wish to give a non-DIR answer, please do not post it in this forum. If you do not wish your question to be limited to DIR answer, please ask it in another applicable forum.
p98 of JJ's Fundies book-
In the ocean, a compass is of paramount importance, and, without interfering with other activities, needs to be viewable and held in its correct orientation on the left hand. It should be on the left hand, away
from oneÃÔ scooter (if used), to avoid the motorÃÔ disruptive magnetic
field. The bottom timer/depth gauge needs to be viewable at all times and should be placed on the right hand.
p110
The primary light canister is worn on the right side of the waist belt,
adjacent to the backplate, and is held securely there beneath the shoul-
der by either the waist belt buckle or by a second buckle that is slid up
behind it. The light is part of a diverÃÔ weight and balance, and should
be placed under the shoulder where it is protected and out of the flow,
and can be conveniently operated or removed if necessary. This location
not only keeps the light canister from interfering with a diverÃÔ kick-
ing movement, but also places it in the same water column as the one
broken by the diverÃÔ shoulder as s/he moves through the water. This
insures that the light is streamlined and does not impede a diverÃÔ prog-
ress through the water. When the light is in use, the light head should be
held in the left hand. When the light is not in use or when oneÃÔ hands
are needed to switch to a stage bottle or to a decompression bottle, the
light head should be clipped off to the right chest D-ring.
If you want to know why, do an OOA drill on your next night dive and have your buddy donate gas while his light is in his right hand.

oh geez...why is it that posts in this area start with some variation of "it's not DIR but..."?

We did get to post 8 before someone posted a non-DIR answer and tried to justify it, that's doing pretty good :D

I had Salvo shorten my light cord, which has made a big difference in its tendency to get caught on things when diving very close to the cave bottom. This is one place, though, where routing the light cord UNDER the long hose seems to have a clear advantage (and no, I don't, but I think about it. I think that's allowed :) ).

until you need to clip it off to pick up a stage etc.
:wink:

A little off topic, but since I'm getting messages to post since I haven't in a while, I figured I'd ask.

Do any of you have problems with your cord getting stuck in your bc inflator between the mouth piece and the button?

I have the ss halcyon inflator and there's a perfect little space for the cord to get stuck. It's not hard to free, but it's just a little annoying. Thinking of changing the inflator but I like the weight of it.

I'm not really asking how to fix it, but mostly just curious if any of you have had similar issues.

Hunter

Stuck on the BC inflator is pretty creative, but they do tend to reach out and grab stage regs, particularly when you are scootering. Usually you can just lift the light head free. The trick is learning how to do it smoothly so your teammates don't react.

If your inflator is facing you and laying flat, I am struggling to see how this hapens regularly. You may be able to adjust how the hose is laying. Of course, unless things have changed dramatically, this might be a good excuse to get rid of that piece of crap stainless inflator.

I had Salvo shorten my light cord, which has made a big difference in its tendency to get caught on things when diving very close to the cave bottom. This is one place, though, where routing the light cord UNDER the long hose seems to have a clear advantage (and no, I don't, but I think about it. I think that's allowed :) ).

Real world reasoning. Out of gas is usually not actually out of gas. It is more often a gas not immediately available problem. That most often happens at stage and deco bottle switches or other times when your light is clipped off. It is very common to forget to put the light cord back over top of the long hose when clipping off. This means that when you are most likely to have an out of gas issue, you are also most likely to have trapped the long hose using this procedure. (It takes a ton of experience to get in the habit of clipping off the light properly every time when using this method.)

This downside is weighed against the slight inconvenience of having to untwist your light cord from the last foot or two of hose.

If you want to know why, do an OOA drill on your next night dive and have your buddy donate gas while his light is in his right hand.

Giving an already stressed out OOG buddy an eye-full of 21W light is not cool ..... He may never even see your donated reg.

A little off topic, but since I'm getting messages to post since I haven't in a while, I figured I'd ask.

Do any of you have problems with your cord getting stuck in your bc inflator between the mouth piece and the button?

I have the ss halcyon inflator and there's a perfect little space for the cord to get stuck. It's not hard to free, but it's just a little annoying. Thinking of changing the inflator but I like the weight of it.

I'm not really asking how to fix it, but mostly just curious if any of you have had similar issues.

Hunter

Like RTodd said, I have a bigger problem getting the cord stuck on the stage regs, but I think I have had the cord hang up on the BC inflator once or twice. It's mostly when I'm trying to pass it over to my right hand to check my SPG, but it's never really annoyed my.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom