Primary Light - Hand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and to add to that, the post that you are mostly likely need to shutdown will be your right post.

I had Salvo shorten my light cord, which has made a big difference in its tendency to get caught on things when diving very close to the cave bottom. This is one place, though, where routing the light cord UNDER the long hose seems to have a clear advantage (and no, I don't, but I think about it. I think that's allowed :) ).

I dive my goodman handle on my left hand, but I do shift it to my right hand when I want to dump air from my bottom valve, also I sometimes shift it temporarily to the right to allow Argon into my left glove...

Having the fist clenched for a period of time, my left hand is not as warm as my right. I then just shift hands for a second and flex my left hand and then resume my diving with the handle back on the left hand.

MG

If you are finding that you are using your light in your right hand to prevent a tangle your light cord might be to long?? Wrapping it around your arm means you could get tangled more easily. What if you need to clip it off? Or switch hands?

There was actually a fatality once that an arm wrapped light cord contributed to. I can't recall where that report was tho so I don't know where to look for it. I think it might have been at a midwest quarry or the Great Lakes??

If its droopy get it shortened or pay more attention to it, don't wrap it.

I had Salvo shorten my light cord, which has made a big difference in its tendency to get caught on things when diving very close to the cave bottom. This is one place, though, where routing the light cord UNDER the long hose seems to have a clear advantage (and no, I don't, but I think about it. I think that's allowed :) ).

That slight advantage is more than negated when you're doing a bunch of stage switches and you accidentally pass the lighthead under the suit inflation as well as the longhose among other such shenanigans.

Last edited:
Your bottom timer/depth guage are on the wrong hand.

Hi Brian, I can agree with you in a way, I respect your opinion if you consider that using the light mainly on the right hand is unacceptable, but in this case what would be wrong is the light in the right hand not Botton timer/gauge in the left hand, this would be the consequence. I use it that way because for me makes no sense to use botton timer/gauge in the same hand as the primary light, don't you agree?

Here is one reason to keep it in your left hand.

Once while on a training dive in pretty dark conditions my instructor decided it was a good time to put me OOA.

I signalled to my buddy, who for some reason had his light in his right hand.

I did manage to find the donated regulator in that explosion of light, but it took a while for my retinas to recover.

If you are finding that you are using your light in your right hand to prevent a tangle your light cord might be to long?? Wrapping it around your arm means you could get tangled more easily. What if you need to clip it off? Or switch hands?

It's not like I have the cord all around my arm, it just comes from one side, makes half a circle and goes to my hand, but ok, I agree with you guys on that, I should get a smaller cord, but clipping and switching hands is very easy, I tested in many situations (OOA, Valve drill, deploying SMB, simulating entanglement in diferent parts of the equipment, etc) and never had problems with that.

Hi Brian, I can agree with you in a way, I respect your opinion if you consider that using the light mainly on the right hand is unacceptable, but in this case what would be wrong is the light in the right hand not Botton timer/gauge in the left hand, this would be the consequence. I use it that way because for me makes no sense to use botton timer/gauge in the same hand as the primary light, don't you agree?

How do you look at your compass?

Seriously you can solve alot of issues with valve shut downs, OOA, scooters, checking your compass, checking your SPG, etc. etc. By putting your guages in the normal positions, not wrapping the light cord around anything, and using a temporary hold for the lighthead when you need use your left hand or illuminate your gauge.

I am learning that keeping everything in standard placement of what DIR mentions is key to correcting any failures that might occur...

When the gear changes format, a new learning curve is added to the mix...

Just my 2 cents...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom