Preventing Line Twist in Finger Spools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevrumbo

Banned
Reaction score
South Santa Monica Bay/Los Angeles California, USA
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This useful tip was originally recommended by AG: Use what the Anglers splice/tie in on their Fishing Line --A Ball Bearing Swivel . . .

Or you can just flip the spool over every 10 wraps or so.

Or you can just flip the spool over every 10 wraps or so.

That's what I do - seems to work pretty well.

you have a point. :D

DIR or not... it scares the heck out of me! Guess I've been a fisherman too long but there's no way that I would trust a barrel swivel at the end of my jump spool. Maybe in OW on a finger spool for use with a SMB... but not in a cave. No way.

The only thing I care about is not having the spool line's bowline loop twisted --so looping into, onto (or out of) your SMB, Mainline, Lost Line or Buddy Drill etc. is an easy, quick & tangle free exercise. You splice/tie-in the swivel just after the bowline knot. . .

You carefully wind/dress-up the spool line later out-of-the water, using Parking Meter Poles as a temporary holding loom (The Monterey Technique: trips up all the BOW students as they head down to San Carlos Beach off the Coast Guard Pier. . .:D )

This is DIR? Holy Smokes!

My GUE cave1 instructor had a spool with a swivel of some kind for this very issue (not sure what kind the swivel was but if i had to guess it was the ball bearing type ?)

Not sure exactly what constraints he would put on its usage or if he considered the swivel a failure point etc. (We used it for land drills :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom