Question Is GUE jump protocol unsafe in 0 viz??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I had the gas, I would.
That’s a nice sentiment, but in true zero vis, you have no way of determining your gas reserves. And how are you going to ‘look’ for a teammate? You’re just putting yourself in greater danger.

The way I was trained, zero vis protocols are pretty straightforward. First, get on the line facing the exit. Second, establish touch contact with your teammate. Both of these things would have been done before reaching a navigation point, unless the zero vis event happened at that precise spot. It doesn’t matter; the diver in front should wait, on the line, for his teammate to establish touch contact before proceeding anywhere.

At this fictional moment in time, there are only two possibilities; the diver in the rear is either going to establish touch contact or not. If he does, then you exit together. If not, then my training is that the diver in front should wait a specified amount of time, maybe 10 minutes, then proceed to the exit, leaving all markers and lines in place. This would have been an agreed upon protocol during the pre dive discussions.

I’m trying to imagine a scenario in which it would make sense to travel into a cave, away from the exit, in zero vis, to search for a teammate who has not followed the protocols in zero vis. One that pops into my mind is, maybe the teammate is entangled on the line and could not advance to establish touch contact. But this diver should be very close by unless there was team separation prior to the zero vis, in which case there was already a failure of teamwork prior to the zero vis situation. Heading back into a cave, blind, is just making a bad situation worse. But it is an interesting conversation.

That’s a nice sentiment, but in true zero vis, you have no way of determining your gas reserves.
I have been in "true zero" vis, more than once, and could still see my spg. Just light it and jam it up against your mask.

And barring any other calamity (which would change my answer) I pretty much know how much gas I have at any given time, since my SAC/RMV doesn't change that much. Unless I'm lobster diving, but then I could care less were my buddy is if I'm on the bugs! :)

Actual zero vis is almost always localized.

And you knew how much gas you had before it went to **** so you’ve got an idea of how much you have.

If we’re really zeroed out I’ll hang out where it’s starting to clear a bit (say a body length of visibility) and chill. If homie doesn’t come out in a few, I’ll go hunting. Usually if you shield your light you can see your buddy’s glow through the suspended dirt.

Ive been in 'zero vis' numerous times its unpleasant and unnerving but with good line laying its very manageable. Dealing with it is progressive as far as psychological comfort goes - one mans terror is another mans normal. The worst 'zero vis' ive encountered is stirred up oil -thats my bench mark and its zero in the truest definition of the word, light does not penetrate.
A well laid line is a an art form - something that we can constantly improve and get better at -personaly I think not enough focus is spent on this - when the dive turns to custard a well laid line is a your best friend - the last thing you need when your stressed is a sloppy laid line.
I’m trying to imagine a scenario in which it would make sense to travel into a cave, away from the exit, in zero vis, to search for a teammate who has not followed the protocols in zero vis. One that pops into my mind is, maybe the teammate is entangled on the line and could not advance to establish touch contact. But this diver should be very close by unless there was team separation prior to the zero vis, in which case there was already a failure of teamwork prior to the zero vis situation. Heading back into a cave, blind, is just making a bad situation worse. But it is an interesting conversation.
these decision are made in context of gas reserves and psychological stress- we can write all the protocols ad infinitum but in reality everyone has a point along the spectrum that they are on the verge of panic and just have to get out
Ive had divers turn around take off (without them telling me) and leave me behind due to them being stressed - ive had divers take out reels and left me in zero vis, and others have broken all the protocols that they have been trained for, it becomes every man fro himself - and the irony is its often a perceived threat based on stress and not a real one (once again going back to well laid line)

some caves like cocklebiddy in the Nullarbor in Australia is often dirty for the first 400m and so wide that you could literally swim in circles thinking you are making progress and stay in the same spot

The key is to have a plan

based on gas reserves you can stay and look for your buddy ( lost line or buddy search )
you can run a couple of spools out and tie off with directional arrows and hope your buddy will find one
you can clip a spare torch or strobe on a line, even if its a glow it might help
you can wait at a T and bang your tanks with a torch or double ender - this is somewhat directional and maybe more importantly if heard gives them hope, they can bang back if they can hear it -SOS signal is known by most

if you are waiting at a T or implementing some sort of search and you are pushing the reserves then youve done everything you can then you head out leave lines and cookie behind -likley if your buddy is still behind you hes not coming out unless hes exceptionally self controlled and if he sees an extra cookie ( the one you left) hell be also low on gas and hes certainly not going back to look for you - if you wait too long and he finds you in a stressed out state hes going to have been sucking through his gas and hell gobble up your as well

I believe the training is take your own cookie but leave the jump obviously still in. That’s why tying into your own REM (one of the pictures above) is interesting.
Nobody else teaches or uses presence markers consistently except UTJ. This actually presents a problem in zero vis since you can spend quite a bit of time trying to figure out which of multiple presence markers is yours to remove it - and not knock anyone else's off. When you really just need to keep moving towards the exit.

Mingling directional markers and presence markers is also generally bad news. If you do use presence markers keep them distinct from directional markers.

GUE doesn't use presence markers and leaves every marker, jump and line in the cave when poo hits the fan. Cause they are all directional and have no presence meaning and anyone in the cave needs all the directional help available.

Nobody else teaches or uses presence markers consistently except UTJ. This actually presents a problem in zero vis since you can spend quite a bit of time trying to figure out which of multiple presence markers is yours to remove it - and not knock anyone else's off. When you really just need to keep moving towards the exit.

Mingling directional markers and presence markers is also generally bad news. If you do use presence markers keep them distinct from directional markers.

GUE doesn't use presence markers and leaves every marker, jump and line in the cave when poo hits the fan. Cause they are all directional and have no presence meaning and anyone in the cave needs all the directional help available.
UTJ does teach the use of individual markers, but the protocol is to leave everything in the case of an emergency (such as zero viz).

I fail to see how using a cookie that I can identify as my own, on a line, in zero viz is a problem.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom