Pressure gauge filled with liquid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mandlebrot

Reaction score
Hi

I've just bought a set of guages off ebay and when they arrived I saw the pressure gauge is flooded with liquid. When I questioned the seller he said this is how its supposed to be and that pressure gauges were flooded with oil.

So is this true or his he telling lies in-order to pass off dodgy goods? :confused:

"Oil" filled gauges are common for hydraulic and other pumped liquid issues. It damps out needle swing as the impellers/pistons cycle in the pump. BTW The "oil" is usually glycerine.

There is no reason not to use an oil filled gauge for air, nitrox, water, hydraulic, or fuel gas service. DO NOT use one for O2 service as the rapidly expanding orange/white ball you'll get if the bourdon tube breaks is not a good thing.

I assume these are pipe threaded gauges.

FT

Thanks for the reply FredT

Yes this is a pipe threaded gauge and is part of a triple console including depth and compass, it is already connected to a first stage. I just found it funny having a liquid sloshing around inside the pressure gauge only and not all of the console. To be honest I thought that it was flooded with water due to a fault has I have never seen a scuba pressure gauge which is oil filled before and I've seen quite a few from different manufacturers over the years all of which have been dry so this arouse my suspicions.

Thanks for the help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom