Pressed Steel Decision, Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mnfsh:
Just brought home 2 PST E-7 120's last night from LDS, O2 clean and ready to go. Next step is a pony bottle ( not to start an arguement, but redundancy is required on New Jersey boats, I am too old for double 120's and could not bear the thought of all the great dives I would be missing) can't wait to get everything wet.

Your never to old for anything :) (or so my husband who is your age tells me) Wow for once I actually agree with him :)

I just recently purchased an E-8 119 and have to say I am very impressed with the size and weight... it feels about the same size and weight as an aluminum 80, but with negative buoyancy when empty.... The Size is 8 inches in diameter which is a little bigger, but the added gas is a BIG bonus.

Also being that it is not very tall, it does not move on your back even with only one tank strap. I dove with a HP 120 (not sure what brand) that almost hit my knees.. I spent half the dive just trying to keep the tank balanced (probably wasted alot of air)...

with the E-8 it just sits there and has great trim characteristics... (not that the E-7 is a bad tank)....

lamont:
Nope, rock bottom. 2.0 SAC rate (OOA buddy) @ 100 fsw:

1 min to solve problem + 3 mins to ascend @ 30 fpm + 3 min stop @ appx 2.5 ata:

2.0 SAC * 2.5 ata * 7 mins = 35 cu ft

which is what i should have said. 48 cu ft is for 130 fsw:

2.0 SAC * 3 ata * 8 mins = 48 cu ft

I think you've undercounted. Minimum deco is 5 minutes of stops, 1 minute each at 50, 40, 30, 20 and 10 but you only need two minutes to ascend to 50 once you've solved your problem.

FWIW, I've always dove E7-100s or HP100s before that. It is a great tank, light and with plenty of gas up to about 110 feet. Deeper than that you'll generally be okay but you don't have a lot of leeway. If you miss your drop, say because the current is ripping, and have to drop again, you may not have enough gas for full bottom time. Personally, much deeper than 100 fsw, I also want some redundancy.

limeyx:
how else do you propose getting to the surface in OOA ?
Well it's simple, since an OOA situation is somewhat of an emergency I would probably forgo the 50,40,30,20 ft stops that reubencahn suggested since we are talking about diving within NDL limits. I would not assume my buddy was hoovering back 2.0 cuft/min during the ascent like lamont suggested and if he was he could carry those big scuds around as independant doubles that way he would not likely have an OOA situation. There is no way I am going to carry around 130cu ft of gas just so I can do staged "safety stops" on an NDL dive that an al80 would do just nicely.

wedivebc:
Well it's simple, since an OOA situation is somewhat of an emergency I would probably forgo the 50,40,30,20 ft stops that reubencahn suggested since we are talking about diving within NDL limits. I would not assume my buddy was hoovering back 2.0 cuft/min during the ascent like lamont suggested and if he was he could carry those big scuds around as independant doubles that way he would not likely have an OOA situation. There is no way I am going to carry around 130cu ft of gas just so I can do staged "safety stops" on an NDL dive that an al80 would do just nicely.
I think the 2cuft/min is the combined consumption rate for both divers since they are now breathing off of one tank. At least as I recall rock bottom.

jbd:
I think the 2cuft/min is the combined consumption rate for both divers since they are now breating off of one tank. At least as I recall rock bottom.
Right, but it is unlikely my buddy breathes 3 times as much gas as I do. Just seems silly to always carry such a huge amount of gas just so I can do staged "safety stops" with a hoover IF he has an OOA situation.

wedivebc:

I agree with your statement Dave, We are talking about an emergency here on a NDL dive you want to get to the surface ASAP. Forget all the stop and go right to the 10' stop now when you get there and you check how much gas you have left. If you have enough for 5 or 10 min stop, take the time. By that time yourself and your OOA buddy should be a little more relax just being 10' under the surface.

reubencahn:
I think you've undercounted. Minimum deco is 5 minutes of stops, 1 minute each at 50, 40, 30, 20 and 10 but you only need two minutes to ascend to 50 once you've solved your problem.

Honestly, I disagree with GUE and don't see the point to a 50' stop on a 100 fsw NDL dive, particularly in a real OOA situation. I think that 20 fpm ascent rates and pauses every 10 feet up to 30 and 1@30, 2@20, 3@10 shapes the curve better. I think GUE has gotten overly focused on drilling technical students and not about what you actually need in that situation. If you're training tech divers to go to 250 fsw and worry about 80% ATA and 50% ATA and doing stops every 10 fsw then it makes sense to *drill* on 100 fsw NDL dives the way that GUE describes. I can't find any logical reason you need to do deco that way on 100 fsw NDL dives though...

wedivebc:
Right, but it is unlikely my buddy breathes 3 times as much gas as I do. Just seems silly to always carry such a huge amount of gas just so I can do staged "safety stops" with a hoover IF he has an OOA situation.

The first dive that I calculated my average SAC throughout the whole dive for, it came in at 1.1 cuft/min. And that was without thinking I was gonna die, and it was the average. n00bs can breathe pretty heavy...

I plan on being able to deal with the situation that I'm at 100 fsw and some new diver that shouldn't be down there winds up ripping my reg out of my mouth because they ran out of gas...

Back
Top Bottom