Pressed Steel Decision, Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfenne:
OK, I am almost there, just a few more questions! I will use these tanks primarily for singles as a recreational setup. I am buying two so I do not have to wait to get the tanks filled for my second dive's. Right now I kind of look at it like, If I am paying for a fill why not get the extra 20cf for the same price. The extra air is not a bad thing even if it is not being used. If they would short fill the E7-100's I might only be getting a little more than 80cf of air. With that said....

yes, i've gotten short fills on my E8-130s which have actually shortened my dives. short fills on an E7-100 i would find insanely annoying all the time.

1.Will I notice a big difference in with the E8-119's 8" tank diameter?

i didn't.

2.Will it create unusual in water characteristics?

nope.

3.Are the E8-119's overkill for singles on typical, less than an hour recdives?

if you're doing less than an hour it might be. but you'll probably find that if you're diving with 120s/130s that you grow into doing dives that are longer. 35 mins @ 90' on EAN32 with 60' total runtime is the kind of dive the larger tanks will let you do with gas to spare.

4.Is my rational for getting the E8-119's of base?

i don't think so, but then i own 4 E8-130s...

i'm thinking of buying some E7-100s, but that would be strictly to double up as a set of small doubles. the double E7-100s aren't much heavier than single 120s/130s so it would be nice to have a set for shore diving, but i've got the 130s to spare and i might be able to get 3 rec shore dives out of one fill... if i didn't have the disposable income though, i'd hit the weights and just double up the 130s and get used to them...

if you've got a typical 200lbs+ male SAC rate the bigger tanks are really a no brainer -- .5-.6 cuft/min or greater SACs will benefit.

plus if you're thinking of technical diving, the big double tanks will not let you down and you won't really grow out of them (until you wind up diving a rebreather...)

If you plan on becoming nitrox certified, the E8-119's will allow you to enjoy the increased NDL limits of nitrox.

lamont:
not quite correct. at 100 fsw you should have a 48 cu ft reserve (which is 1600 psi on an AL80) and if you're hitting that limit with plenty of NDL to spare (particularly on EAN32) then you could use a large steel tank. at 100 fsw, a 500 psi reserve in an AL80 will last somewhere between 1-2 mins if your buddy has an OOA. that is barely enough time to get your **** together at depth, and you'll probably OOA on the way up, and definitely won't make your stop.
If you can hit your NDL after using 32cuft out of an AL80 why would you need 48cuft to get to the surface safely? Am I missing something?

bfenne:
Hello Everyone,

I have actually found a place that has pressed steel tanks....Now my problem is which tank would be most optimal? I am looking at the e7-100 and the e8-119. They are very very similar. main differences are the weight(about 8lbs), diameter (about 3/4") and capacity(about 20cf). With that said I physically can handle the weight. Is there a reason why I should choose one over the other that I am not thinking of and not know what future diving i will get into? Does one cover more bases? HELP I AM PULLING MY HAIR OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There were six of the e9-119 tanks in the store when I bought air this morning. So it looks like they are being made again. Whish I had an extra $330. I use a Faber LP95 which is the same weight and physical size as the e8-119. I'm 5-7 and like the shorter tank. My other tank is a PST LP80 which is the same weight and physical size as the newer e7-100.
I can certainly tell the difference in weight when I'm walking up a big hill from the beach back to the car. Get the 100 for beach diving and a 119 for times when you need it or for boats where weight is not an issue. I think the 119 would make a great nitrox tank

I am 5-5 and have used the E8-119 tanks for the last couple of years. I have one set doubled up for tech diving and one single for just shallower dives. I like the weight and trim for this tank. It isn't so long as to make it uncomfortable when sitting down. The only issue I can see is whether or not you are diving dry. This is a heavy tank to swim up from depth if you should have a BC failure.
Good luck with whatever you get!

wedivebc:
If you can hit your NDL after using 32cuft out of an AL80 why would you need 48cuft to get to the surface safely? Am I missing something?
I didn't follow this entire part of the thread, but, one thing that comes to mind, rule of thirds.

One third for descent and swim, one third for ascent, and one third for buddy or emergencies.

Just my .02 worth.

Quarrior:
I didn't follow this entire part of the thread, but, one thing that comes to mind, rule of thirds.

One third for descent and swim, one third for ascent, and one third for buddy or emergencies.

Just my .02 worth.

Nope, rock bottom. 2.0 SAC rate (OOA buddy) @ 100 fsw:

1 min to solve problem + 3 mins to ascend @ 30 fpm + 3 min stop @ appx 2.5 ata:

2.0 SAC * 2.5 ata * 7 mins = 35 cu ft

which is what i should have said. 48 cu ft is for 130 fsw:

2.0 SAC * 3 ata * 8 mins = 48 cu ft

lamont:
Nope, rock bottom. 2.0 SAC rate (OOA buddy) @ 100 fsw:

1 min to solve problem + 3 mins to ascend @ 30 fpm + 3 min stop @ appx 2.5 ata:

2.0 SAC * 2.5 ata * 7 mins = 35 cu ft

which is what i should have said. 48 cu ft is for 130 fsw:

2.0 SAC * 3 ata * 8 mins = 48 cu ft

No wonder you guys use 130s for rec dives.

E series are good tanks. They can be filled to their capacity for life if I'm correct no hydro + needed after 5 yrs. They are negatively bouyant and be careful using them in hot climates were you don't have a lot of neoprene to offset the negative weight. Also since you will have more air, keep watch on that no-deco time. Get that weight requirement honed so if the BC failure happens you wont be too overweighted. I'm so fussy I sawed weights in half to get the proper weighting (Only I would do that).

Enjoy!! they are great tanks.

I own 2 pst hp 100 steels. I plan on buying 2 more. The reason i chose these was not that i can't handle the 120s (im 6'2, 180) but i really like the size and weight of the 100s when they are doubled. I really have no problem with consumption of the 100s either. i have a 30 for a pony/stage that i use along with the 100s and that is plenty for here in NJ. As i said i have nothing against the 120s (and pst has new 130s that are better than the 120s), but the 100s work fine for me and are much more manageable doubled and with a stage if you choose to do so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom