ppo computer gauge for drager

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have a dolphin drager rebreather. The ppo computer has a reputation for flooding, I found that it floods quite well. I would like to replace it, but I am not sure what unit I want to go with. What do you suggest?

diverdan112001

The ppo2 computer that flooded is made by drager, I was told that it leaks at the base of the connection to the gauge it self. Not that it matters the damage is done. Any suggestions?

if you mean the oxyguage, I had that problem twice, fortunately with a new unit, so just sent it back to the dive shop who gave me another one. After the second time told them I wanted a refund, which they had no problem giving me. Switched to the uwatec air z o2 and oxy 2 which has worked very well. The oxy 2 has two cells so there is a some backup. However it comes at a price, air z o2 and oxy2 priced at about $1500. Can use it to dive open circuit also, so maybe that takes some of the sting out of it. Also vr3's and hs explorer's can be connected. I believe they are in the same price range as the uwatec but offer some additionally functionality, can be used with helium mixes.

I dove mine (around 75 to 100 dives) with an Oxy2 + AirZ O2 over this last year. In that time, I had to replace the wrist unit once (lower display flooded!) and had multiple failures on the Oxy 2 sensors. The Oxy2, in addition to being just generally recalcitrant, would also fail to work whenever I had a strobe light on, or someone near me had a strobe light on.

As an engineer myself, I'm more than disappointed with the quality of the Uwatec gear. I consider it "generally unreliable," which, for life support gear, I don't like... I also find it overly conservative, which isn't necessarily bad, but it's not adjustable. If you do a table dive, and you miss what the computer "thinks" you should do for a decompression stop, the Uwatec will lock you out for 24 hours or more. I find that to be intolerable - at the very least, it ought to be able to do "gauge mode," but, alas, it doesn't...

I made the mistake of buying the memo mouse, even - had to find a usb to serial converter to even run it, which is a travesty in this day and age, since USB has been standard since 1997... The memo mouse interface only works about 50% of the time, failing to establish a good connection the rest of the time, and their download software looks like it was written by a bunch of high school hackers, not by professional programmers.

Bottom line, I just switched over to a VR3. I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but I'm really impressed. It's a much more capable computer, will allow gas switching if you have to bail out or want to use a 50/50 or 100% deco bottle, will grow with me into a fully CCR, will do helium mixes, can adjust its conservatism, warns you for deep microbubble stops (something the Uwatec won't do...), etc. The list goes on and on. Unlocked with PIN codes to the level that the Dolphin requires, it's just slightly cheaper than the Uwatec combo... It's also built a lot more solidly than the Uwatec - metal, not plastic, for the bulk of the body, and it's hardwired to the sensor, so strobes and other nearby users won't cause problems with the reception. The VR3 people are actually responsive to inquiries and are willing to listen for feature requests, which is cool, too. It'll also function when you need it most - miss a stop, and it'll continue to try to give you best-guess deco numbers.

Count me in the "no more Uwatec for my diving career" crowd...I regret highly that I bought the Uwatec set when I bought the rebreather. I should've bought the VR3 from the get-go.

Go with VR3, unit is very capable and they have interface for Dragger. It is a bit costly, but you get what you pay for.

I agree with Roni. Go with a VR3. Great piece of equipment. And if you switch to CCR, the fixed PO2 mode is a necessity. Good service. Bad users manual ( I mean REALLY bad) I think they do it on purpose so you will be forced to dive a lot to figure the thing out...

How old is your VR3 manual?
Reason I'm asking is that DeltaP improved it quite a bit from version 2.x to the current v3.
Maybe not quite as good as the Explorer's, but good enough to understand the computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom