Power Train Warranties...??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, my independent mechanic is good, but capable to computer scans. The dealer covered me at his fav mechanic who is also not computer capable but did say he thot it was the Body Control Module, so next the dealer sent me to another of his mechanics who can scan - and he just confirmed that really, saying the Chevy house needs to flash it. I'm running around in circles comparing opinions on gadgets I don't understand. The Chevy house thinks $70 to flash if that works, a few hundred to replace if needed - and since it's them calling the need, I have a hunch how that will go. Maybe not? The dealer did arrange a discount anyway, so we'll finish this up tomorrow I hope.

I did talk to a warranty salesman. :laughing: I'll self insure.

The circus is over! I think

After all of those various mechanics and opinions, I finally gave up on the dealer's help and discounts and took it to the Chevy house Thursday. He said he couldn't get to it until Tuesday, but bring it in early. Grrr, ok, so I drive it to Lubbock Sunday and the problems escalated. Had hell getting it started there, repeatedly, so I just parked until I was ready to come home, then came straight home - no stops. This morning, more hell starting, tricking the computer into letting it, etc, finally got it to the Chevy house - and left it running until that mechanic could work on it.

It was not the clock spring at all!

It was not the brake switch fouling my cruise control!

It was not the computer needing flashed or replace!​

Now remember that I had left it running this time, not cooling off like before the others saw it. "Look, it's a lose ground wire! See it glowing?" It had apparently worked loser in time, causing more and more shorts, abd while it did ruin the cable - it did not ruin anything else.

Still, replacing it was nothing like replacing a battery cable. The part had to come out of Lubbock on the noon delivery and there seems to have been a lot of labor. I guess so. I've never replaced one and don't want to learn.

So, after 8 hours there today, it finally rolls out fixed for $300. I guess it could have been a lot worse. It shouldn't have happened, but caca does at times.

Glad to be finished, for now. :eyebrow:

Still, replacing it was nothing like replacing a battery cable. The part had to come out of Lubbock on the noon delivery and there seems to have been a lot of labor. I guess so. I've never replaced one and don't want to learn.

Speaking of battery cables, just an FYI. A lot of the later model GM products have dual positive battery cables, with an extra long bolt going through them and spacer between them. They had a huge problem with corrosion getting on the bolt and spacer, effectively fusing them together to the point they have to be cut off and replaced by the time you have to change a battery out. I'd strongly recommend taking that bolt out, and putting some dielectric grease on the connections, the bolt and the spacer to keep from having that problem in the future. Probably cost you about $1.50 at your local parts store for a little one time use packet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom