• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Power Outage on Oahu

Discussion in 'Talk Story' started by ScubaSeanMaui, Dec 27, 2008.

1. ScubaSeanMaui

ScubaSeanMaui Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    How do you make a Hawaiian Power Outage? Just add wind or rain!

Maybe Barack will step in and fix our feeble utility companies! I think he may be in the dark with you!

ABC News: Hawaii Island of Oahu Without Power

Sean

2. ScubaSeanMaui

ScubaSeanMaui Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    You guys get power yet? We lost power for +- 3 days last year...

Sean

3. Lopaka

Lopaka Guest

Power came on in Hawaii Kai at 1250 hours (~45 min ago). Only took the Keystone Kops at HECO 17 hours 20 minutes to get their thumb out. And the cause was a single lightning strike I hear now. :shakehead: Wife was out to score ice (the cold stuff) and said a lot of signals are still out.

Incompetent idiots, you'd think after their humiliation at losing the entire island two years ago to a moderate quake, they might have a clue now how to avoid a repeat. At least water kept flowing this time..............

Oh yeah, no cell service with Verizon, so much for dumping landline for cell only. Landline continued to work fine unless calling a cell phone!

Tired of worrying about the stuff in the fridge going bad, will buy a modest generator when the latest rush (you know there is one right now) is over. COuld hear them all night around the neighborhood chugging away.

Open to suggestions on size and brand. :D

4. ChimChim75

ChimChim75 Contributor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    T-Mobile was fine. :) Yeah, was like 14 hours in Kaimuki. Almost didn't get my Saturday morning dive in cus the shops were closed, but bummed some tanks from a buddy (thanks Arnie!). Glad I got out... Saw lots of sharks and several scorpionfish and other rarities!

I don't know who is worse... HECO or HI Telcom...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  5. cwkline

cwkline Divemaster

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    ChimChim,
    Man, you didn't waste any time posting. Must admit that the dives were very nice today. I will send a link to my pics if they turn out. Just finished soaking the housing.

6. justleesa

justleesa Neither here nor there ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives:
    23 hours, still no power at home - went to the coffee bean to get in touch with relatives :shakehead:

7. justleesa

justleesa Neither here nor there ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives:
    electricity is back up in Kailua...let's hope it stays

8. crab lover

crab lover Photographer

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I have Verizon and had service for the whole blackout, my friend in Kailua also has Verizon service. We were able to text each other through it all!

I do agree though, that now that he has been here through it, maybe Obama will see that something is done!

9. DiveWestOahu

DiveWestOahu Contributor

# of Dives:
    the power never goes off @ capt scottys house,,,, just come over next time jamie

10. Lopaka

Lopaka Guest

Hmm, maybe the Verizon coverage in this little valley I live in is limited to the small tower down at the end. Could not tell what was up as we don't even get much radio reception in here...............