Power Outage on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, Obama was hardly inconvenienced. According the radio, people were tripping over themselves to get his family a generator.

Thank goodness for dive lights. My goal on Saturday was to go to the zoo and see the tiger cubs. The zoo finally opened and I saw them (cute little devils!).

Our power went on at 10 a.m. I had cell phone service (AT&T) the whole time.

I think we need to count our blessings, actually. I agree that HECO seems a bit incompetent. (I passed a power truck parked with three guys leaning against the rear bumper at around 8 a.m.)

However, my mom had to be hospitalized yesterday in Washington State and the power went out. Of course they had back-up but they still had to work through the issues. And it's cold on the mainland. At least we can still be warm and even go to the beach to wait it out, during the day time anyway.

I was just making a joke about Obamma.. I think it's funny the power went out while he was here.. How embarassing! Since he's from Hawaii I'm sure he understands.. The thing I don't understand is why they don't bury the vital power lines? High winds knock them down all the time and as you said, they just fix 'em the same way.. No real improvement...

I'm glad the power is back!

Sean

Maybe the power companies in Washington, Michigan, and New York don't understand either. All three currently have power outages in parts of their states. Maybe Lingle and HECO are to blame for their power outages too. Face it s__t happens, you loose utilities from time to time. Maybe Barry will control Mother Nature when he enters office and everything willbe perfect.

:confused:Whoa!!! Where did that come from? :confused: As I said before, I was musing on an alternate solution. Since I have no idea how any of it really works, what makes sense to me is to isolate the area with the problem so that the WHOLE island doesn't lose power because of a couple of places. I lived in Arkansas for many years where there are always ice storms that knock out the power, that is inevitable, but those ice storms knock out isolated neighborhoods, not the entire state. When one area goes out, it doesn't cause the whole state to lose power.

And I never said that Obama was the end all savior to the power problem. Just that since he was here for it and has now got first hand experience with it (although, yes, in a much more pampered way), that maybe he may have something to say about it. And that maybe it would have embarrassed Lingle and HECO enough to try something different.

Yes, power loss happens, and I am fine with it, but I also think that they should look at this as an opportunity to find a different way of "fixing" the problem. I am sorry if you took my posts as placing blame on one person/group and making a "savior" out of another, but it was more of a hope that the circumstances this time will cause something different to be done rather than just sit back and let it happen again.

Yet again, I have no idea how it all works, and there may not be another solution, but it seems to me that there should be.:D

you got that right drew,,, if they didn't shut down it would have fried the whole system and we'd (rather all of you without generators) would be without power for days maybe weeks during repairs... lifes short,, move on

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom