Power inflator technique (on a short corrugated hose)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rollerboi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was wondering - how do you folks grab your power inflator in a way that's comfortable, if diving with a short (13") corrugated hose? The thought of replacing it with a longer one has crossed my mind, but I'd like to first try to get comfortable with it at this length. Skills problem, equipment solution, and all that.

Mine is near my collarbone, and to grab it with the thumb on the deflator button requires that I "roll" my hand over my chest upside down, palm outward, with some fumbling to point the hose upward. It just doesn't seem right to me. Is this how you guys do it, or do you have a better technique?

The natural thing to me is to grab it palm facing me, middle finger hitting the inflator button and pinky falling over the mouthpiece. This makes it difficult for me to quickly deflate, having to either position my pinky to hit the button or reposition my hand which is less than optimal should I need to dump air quickly.

Also, not having a velcro strap on my BP harness, what would you recommend for keeping the hose in place?

Also, not having a velcro strap on my BP harness, what would you recommend for keeping the hose in place?
Thick bungee loop mounted on the same tri-glide and the same way your left shoulder D-ring is.

For the position, I never really paid attention how I use the purge button, but I'd swear I action it using the index finger, not the thumb.

I grab the inflator with my left hand and use my index finger to dump.

I just recently switched to Transpac setup with shorter inflator hose. I grab my inflator with palm facing me. Thumb on inflator button...index finger on deflator button. Works well for me. Just try different ways til you find one that is comfortable for you. BTW I like the shorter hose.

Some people use a small piece of bungee to form a loop that the inflator hose can pass thru.

Thick bungee loop mounted on the same tri-glide and the same way your left shoulder D-ring is.

A picture says a thousand words; thank you so much for that one.

I grab my inflator with palm facing me. Thumb on inflator button...index finger on deflator button.

I'm not visualizing this. Are we all talking about using the left hand on the inflator slung over the left shoulder? With the "mouth" of the inflator mechanism pointing to the right, as well as the inflator button, and the deflator/dump button pointing downwards?

I was going to explain how I do it.

I know I have never been problem. Now, not only can't I describe how I do it, I can't remember what I do. In fact, when I put on my BCD in the living room, I could not manipulate the inflator or dump at all.

Does anyone want to by my gear?

You can also remove the inflator button/dump button assembly and reposition it in a way that is more comfortable for your hand to grasp. Setting up your gear ergonomically is important.

Jeff

I was going to explain how I do it.

I know I have never been problem. Now, not only can't I describe how I do it, I can't remember what I do. In fact, when I put on my BCD in the living room, I could not manipulate the inflator or dump at all.

Does anyone want to by my gear?

Would you like to trade for a 3 piece suit? I can't do up the tie when I stop to think about it. :confused:

I'm with ItsBruce -- I found it surprisingly difficult to figure out what I do.

But I think when I want to inflate, I grab the hose with my palm facing toward my body, thumb up, and my index finger wrapped around the button to inflate. When I want to deflate, I grab the hose with the palm facing OUT and the thumb down, and rotate my arm and wrist until the deflate button is facing upward and my index finger is on top of it.

I use the bungie or shock cord through the D-ring to retain the inflator.

You can really get used to the short one, and it's much nicer if you have to dive close to a silty bottom.

If I'm wearing heavy neoprene (5mm) I have to reach across with my right hand to operate the inflator held in a bungee loop at the D-ring. With little or no exposure protection, I can operate it with my left hand. I use Scubapro power inflators which have both buttons on the side. I found the style with the manual button on the end to be a bit awkward.

Back
Top Bottom