Port closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMG_3333.jpg
IMG_3333.jpg

“Mar de Fondo” is registered on the island
January 11, 2020

In Cozumel

COMAK1-7.jpg
dav

By Karina Carrión

COZUMEL, January 10.- The phenomenon known as “Mar de Fondo”, recorded on Friday afternoon, forced dozens of fishermen to take their boats out of the water, while local Civil Protection authorities said that this natural phenomenon is a cause of the entry of the cold front and not a tsunami, as it was rumored in various social networks.

At least this was stated by the head of said agency in the town, Héctor Mac Marín, who lamented that some people replicate in certain social networks incorrect information about the situation in the town, because they generate concern among the relatives of the inhabitants upon receiving false information.

In the same sense, he explained that the version of some islanders is in the understanding that there was supposedly a tsunami warning, so he began receiving calls from different people to corroborate the data, detailing that there was no such threat, but that only the effects of the entrance of a cold front were expected for this weekend, which would be deriving some effects with gusts of wind and strong waves.

Even possible effects of the so-called Bottom Sea, which detailed that it is a wave movement, also called waves or wave system, which propagates outside the area where it has been generated, being able to reach very far places, therefore, that state of the sea is not related to the present wind, although its cause is the wind originated in another different area, highlighting that it is for this reason that the Bottom Sea should not be confused with the tsunami, since the latter is due to movements seismic at the bottom of the sea, he said.

Meanwhile, on the afternoon of Friday, the Mar de Fondo phenomenon was recorded in the Cozumel road, at the height of 2 north street to the north zone, especially in the area called Las Rocas beach, while in the southern zone from the same boardwalk, the effect of the overhang was reflected, as some sailors who disarmed the engines of their boats called to protect them, at the time they made the moorings for their boats, before the notification of the north that would enter the afternoon of the same Friday.

BTW,

Y'all ought to stop raising hell with the new Port Captain (not Harbor Master). All you are gonna do is make her upset and make her more unreasonable. MY guess is that with time she will understand and be reasonable but not if you call her out for things she has the authority to do-- you and I all lose.

Dave Dillehay (Aldora Retired)
With all due respect Dave - you haven’t been around (and I left a week ago) but you have no idea what we have or haven’t been doing or what’s really been going on - I can’t speak to actual conditions since I left, but my references are based on what was happening before I left - when the port was closed on perfectly flat days. We are handling things with Prt Captain professionally and respectfully - we’re not idiots!

Maybe Cozumel needs to be divided into a couple of zones and have different levels of closures?
That is exactly what we had accomplished with the previous port captain and are working on with the new one.

With all due respect Dave - you haven’t been around (and I left a week ago) but you have no idea what we have or haven’t been doing or what’s really been going on - I can’t speak to actual conditions since I left, but my references are based on what was happening before I left - when the port was closed on perfectly flat days. We are handling things with Prt Captain professionally and respectfully - we’re not idiots!

Dear Christi,

With all due respect you were not in a small semi private meeting with the Port Captain last week. My very good sources indicate she is pissed and the yelling and protest crap is only going to make it worse. And yes I do knows what has been going on and it has not been productive.

In addition, the idea of Zone Closure is on its face ridiculous --as all the boats have to come and go from the same harbors.

Dave Dillehay

In addition, the idea of Zone Closure is on its face ridiculous --as all the boats have to come and go from the same harbors.

That you said "harbors" in plural would seem to indicate that zone closure is appropriate. If the P.C.s response to people being upset over her incompetence is to get pissed then maybe she isn't cut out for that job and needs to go.

Dear Christi,

With all due respect you were not in a small semi private meeting with the Port Captain last week. My very good sources indicate she is pissed and the yelling and protest crap is only going to make it worse. And yes I do knows what has been going on and it has not been productive.

Dave Dillehay

Safety is of course paramount to ALL of us, but many of her calls as of late have not been judicious, but rather made based on the REGIONAL reports. I maintain that she has not been judicious or used intelligent discretion in the past two weeks. The port was open at times when it should have been closed and closed with perfectly flat seas and winds out of the east. Yes, those conditions are problematic for the mainland, but she doesn't seem to understand the difference.

And no, I wasn't in the small meeting you refer to. You have also not been privy to discussions others have had with her or her higher ups. I am not referring to protests outside of her office - as I mentioned in my previous post, communications I am referring to have been respectful and professional. While I have not been personally in these meetings, I am involved in the association and am receiving information.

I maintain that she is not qualified or educated on how to run a port such as Cozumel, mainly because she doesn't have the humility to admit when she's made an error, instead, she wants to assert her authority at all costs rather than to learn about her new post. I too have very good sources who are very well versed on all goings on Cozumel and I've learned more intel about her which validates my point.

The new port captain (Alicia del Carmen Hernández Azuara) got her Merchant Marine education at the Escuela Náutica Mercante “Cap. Alt. Luis Gonzaga Priego González” in Tampico, between 1986 and 1990. After that, she worked on commercial ships (tankers, grain haulers, and others) gaining her title “Capitan de Altura” in 2005. She later worked on tugboats in the port of Tampico and then worked on a semi-submersible platform.

By 2018, she was working as Vice President of the Colegio de Marinos Mercantes de Tamaulipas. This administration position (read desk job) seems to have been a step towards retirement for others.

She was assigned to the tiny port of La Pesca, Tamaulipas in 2018. La Pesca was decreed as an international commercial port in July 21, 1997. However, because the channel soon silted up, the port functions only for very small fishing boats, 3 to 4.5 meters in length, powered by outboard motors. In La Pesca there is a 136 meter long, concrete municipal pier, on the north bank of the Soto la Marina River, but it is currently out of service, as a sunken dredge is blocking it and the water near the pier is silted up and too shallow to dock anything. It is not a tourist destination, and does not have any dive shops, cruise ships, glass-bottom boats, parasailing, submarines, sailboats, sport-fishing boats, ironman triathlons, or tourists.

After about a year as port captain in that lonely back-water, she was was assigned to Cozumel because they didnt' kow what else to do with her and we needed a new Port Captain.

BTW - Zone closures were working before, especially with south and SW winds

Dear Christi,

With all due respect you were not in a small semi private meeting with the Port Captain last week. My very good sources indicate she is pissed and the yelling and protest crap is only going to make it worse.
In my experience in dealing with bureaucrats I have found that berating and yelling at them rarely makes them change their minds, even when they are in the wrong. Maybe especially when they are in the wrong.

In my experience in dealing with bureaucrats I have found that berating and yelling at them rarely makes them change their minds, even when they are in the wrong. Maybe especially when they are in the wrong.

No, the best way to deal with those types is to get them fired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom