Pony Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Troy32

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

This is one of my my first posts but I have been following the board for a few months. I live on Long Island NY and mainly do wreck diving. I want to start using a pony setup just in case anything goes wrong. We dive in water as low as 36 degrees in the winter. I would like a 13 Cu Ft bottle slung from the 2 lower D rings on my BC. I love the Zeagle Razor first stage that screws right into a standard scuba tank as it takes up a lot less room and ways less than a standerd first stage and K valve. The only problem is that the Zeagle Razor is not environmentally sealed.

What other first stage screws right into a standard scuba tank and is environmentally sealed?

Any ideas on how to sling a 13 Cu Ft pony from the 2 lower D rings of my BC?

Where can I buy a 13 Cu Ft pony bottle in a color other than bright yellow?

I am set on 13 Ct Ft as it only needs to get me up from 100ft safely. I do not go into the wrecks.

Even though you don't go into the wrecks, other issues can occur. There is fishing ling around a lot of the wrecks. Getting entangled in line could cause a greater need for gas than a 13cf can provide. Also, in a real situation, your SAC is likely to increase. I realize you say you're set on the 13cf, but I'd really reconsider that. Personally, I wouldn't take anything smaller than a 30cf.

Ditto. Wreck diving inthose conditions can result in delays that may exceed the capcity of a 13 cu ft tank.

I also agree a 30 or 40 makes more sense, especially if you are slinging it. You won't notice the difference between a slung 13 and a slung 30 - except that the 30 is long enough to accomodate a 40" hose while a 13 is far too short.

Personally I am not a big fan of integrated tank valve/first stages. It adds complication and solves a problem that does not exist.

Instead I'd get a DIN/K valve, and then use a small first stage like a Scubapro Mk 2 or perhaps a Mk 17. The Mk 17 is sealed and is the best cold water first stage currently available, but the Mk 2 is also extremely reliable in very cold water even though it is unsealed. The Mk 2 is also a very simple and near bullet proof design that is well suited to pony or deco reg use.

I understand your reasoning but I know I would never us a pony if it was that big and bulky. I figure a 13 will easily get me up from 100ft if my main tank malfunctions with a safety stop. That is my biggest concern diving without a completely redundant system. I also have a good buddy so it is a second backup. Thanks for the reply

Dont get a 13, they are to short and fat to sling nicely. The 19 is much better side slung, the geometry just works better. I know this from actual attempts with a buddy.

If you don't like yellow they make spray paint. Spray it with bedliner---lol.

N

Aquamaster

I am not too familier with integrated tank valves. I just came across the zeagle razor and figured it would be less complicated as it is one solid piece and eliminates the possibility of blowing an o ring on the K valve which from what I read is the one of the most common issues. You said they add complications. Can you Please elaborate. Thanks

If you see the add on the left of the screen for the amphibious fins they show a public safety diver that has a red 13 CuFt nicely slung pony on the lower D rings of his BC. It just seems to be out of the way

FWIW, I too am looking into a pony setup. Check out the Tec Diving / Public Safety Diver sub-forum for that thread.

I got convinced to go with a 19 over a 13. It's not much bigger physically, but you get 45% more gas. It's also still small enough to carry on the plane with you, if needed.

I got a used regulator set. After it is serviced, I will use the first and second on this pony, and use the octo on my main regulator set (replacing the Air 2 it now has).

I'm planning on a 19cf pony and one of those quick release brackets. It's expensive, but it's what I want.

good luck!
nd

p.s.: I too wouldn't get a pony if it had to be a 30 or bigger to be useful. I think it's overkill for my purposes.

I slung a 30 in the Bahamas for some recreational wreck diving. I hardly even noticed it being there. Before you spend the money, rent some tanks and try out the different sizes. You might be surprised.

As for bloing an o-ring, they're cheap and small. Easy enough to carry around in a save a dive kit. I have a pill box full of several different sizes that goes with me everywhere.

I understand that o rings are cheap and easy to replace but if it blows at a hundred feet I would no longer have a redundant system. It seems to me that a one piece first stage would be more reliable

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom