Pony on vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big John

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This past year i purchased and started using a 19cf pony for my North Carolina dives. I know the arguments for and against a pony, but that is not what i am getting at. How many of you carry a pony with you for resort diving? I am heading to the Turks and Caicos Islands in a couple of months and trying to decide if packing my pony is worth it. Dives are limited to 100fsw and all done on an AL80 in great viz. In my previous visit to TCI there were no ponies in sight. I already know I am :dork2: but don't want to be the uber:dork2: on the trip. So what is it take the pony or leave it at home?

The question is why would you compromise your personal safety standards just because you are going on vacation?

Most "divers" only dive a few times a year while on vacation so I personally do not regard a bunch of resort divers as role models.

To fly with your pony bottle, empty it, take the valve off, and pack it in your checked luggage.

Ditto on DwayneJ

I always carry my pony with me.....and use it Gave up caring about what others think a longgggg time ago.

I take mine on all my dive vacations including Turks and Caicos. Put my 19cf in my carry on backpack and never have a problem. As far as being a Dork - honestly I don't care what others think about it, its my vacation and my life!!

Joe

don't want to be the uber:dork2: on the trip.

I know you're joking, but I care about you and your safety. Do what you need to do without regard for the opinions of others. The first rule of diving is that anyone can thumb the dive for any reason without questions or recriminations. I suspect that this s roughly the same thing: If there is a logical reason that your equipment choice or dive plan places others at risk, they have a right to raise questions. But otherwise, they should respect your choice without questions or recriminations for exactly the same reason: To prevent someone from doing a dive where they lack confidence in their ability to execute it safely.

My plans would be dependent on what my plans are for a dive buddy. If they include the possibility of a instant buddy or group dive orgy, I am packing my pony. At other times, with my regular buddies who I trust 100%, the pony stays home.

I take mine along because I love the look on the face of the Divemaster when I set my rig up. :D

Plus, like GrumpyOldGuy said, it is a good idea to have a back up plan if you dive with the cattle or an instabuddy.

I take mine on all my dive vacations including Turks and Caicos. Put my 19cf in my carry on backpack and never have a problem. As far as being a Dork - honestly I don't care what others think about it, its my vacation and my life!!

Joe

Really? They let you carry it? Is this recent? International flight?

I take a pony with on all vacation dives that are deeper than 30 ft. I have a 13 and a 19 that I would take, depending on if the dives are going to be above or below 60 ft..

I have not needed to use my pony on any of my vacations, but I had a buddy need it on one trip.

Better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Jim breslin

I got my pony because of experiences with boat pick buddies, but my home buddy made me glad I dived it on the last trip. :mad:
Really? They let you carry it? Is this recent? International flight?
Yeah, TSA regs allow it in carry on. I have too much other stuff for my roll-on and computer bag, tho.

Back
Top Bottom