Pony on vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's nothing preventing you from carrying a pony bottle in checked luggage. It has to be empty and the valve removed. No this isn't recent. You've always been able to take cylinders.
See this URL... TSA: Compressed Gas Cylinders

General info on Scuba gear is at... TSA: Transporting Scuba Equipment
I think he was surprised to learn that he could carry it on in carry-on. But yeah, you can.

The post he was referencing...
I take mine on all my dive vacations including Turks and Caicos. Put my 19cf in my carry on backpack and never have a problem. As far as being a Dork - honestly I don't care what others think about it, its my vacation and my life.
Always is a bit exaggerated. The first couple of years I traveled with my pony, there were not published rules. You heard about TSA confiscating, and they could - but nothing ever confirmed. Spare Air company lobbied to get the rules we have now.

How many of you carry a pony with you for resort diving? I am heading to the Turks and Caicos Islands in a couple of months and trying to decide if packing my pony is worth it.

I carry an extra reg with SPG and a sling strap like this,
SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Stage Bottle Rigging

although you can make your own stage strap. Then I just get whatever size cylinder they have handy at the destination for my slung cylinder.

Attachments

• Stage rigging AL 80.jpg
    Stage rigging AL 80.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 53

Back
Top Bottom