pony bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
or they see Team diving as hindering them from doing the dives that they would like to do. The "weakness" of team diving is that you are only as strong as the weakest member. Now, the DIR (or other team focused group) solution is to keep training the team, but perhaps the solo-diver types see that as a PITA.

I know you are being somewhat facetious, but I really believe that what you say is primarily true. It is often (not always...don't anyone get their panties in a bunch) a result of laziness or selfishness that people undertake solo diving as the 'safer' option. I will agree that a solo diver who goes into a dive knowing they are solo and brings the right gear is probably significantly safer than getting in the water with some schmuck, believing that they are buddy diving, when in reality they are just entering the water at the same approximate time and location.

Soggy:
If you are diving in conditions where you are far enough from the surface that you cannot do a direct ascent and you are in such poor vis that you can't see your buddy who has somehow just disappeared in a wicked current, and your lights are so poor that you can't see the glow from your buddy in that terrible vis you should either be diving doubles or not doing the dive at all.

So in other words, diving with a redundant air source. Which for shallow depth can also include a pony which would have more than enough air to get you to the surface. No different from a twinset. Same thing, different name. Im glad you agree they have a use.

The words blindly rely prove the point that you have never dived in a squared away team. Once you have, you'll understand that a good teammate *will* be there.

Great so in a perfect world you only dive with perfect buddies who you've obviously subjected to a battery of psychological, physical and mental aptitude tests on the surface to ensure they can respond under all conditions in an absolutely perfect way. The last time i checked the world wasnt perfect. People behave differently under pressure, not everyone can be 100% perfect 100% of the time. People also have to learn to improve. Your method of only diving with these mythical perfect divers is great except it means immediately there is no diving with anyone else so therefore nobody learns, trains or improves as they cant get the experience.

You go abroad with the family and then cant dive as the perfect buddy didnt come ready fitted in your suit case and so on.

Very inflexible. Yes its safe but its far from practical for everything.

How exactly are instructors meant to function? Someone doing a training course may not be fully rescue trained, may not be perfect, may not have had 10 years of aptitude tests to be certified as perfect. Should the instructor refuse to dive with these people? Refuse to dive to give these people experience purely because they may not be totally relied on to rescue him? Or should he just use a redundant air source like a pony?

Even if i did have one of these always there perfect buddies that followed me on every dive in every country id still want a redundant air supply. It gives me one more option to deal with whatever the ocean throws at me.

Obviously there are circumstances where redundancy is necessary. I dive doubles on pretty much anything below 60-80 ft in cold water, which is pretty much everything these days. I haven't had a single tank on in several months.

Nice if you have that option. I know people here that dive twinsets all the time. However they do work out expensive and for small boat/rib diving arent always practical. You'd be really frowned on trying to cram 4 cylinders (as youd need 2 twinsets, one for each dive) onto a small boat when everyone else has 1 x 15l for each dive and so on. A pony is a more compact way of providing redundancy on a dive where a twinset is either not essential or viable. Its great for shallow depths.

The issues with pony bottles are numerous.....If you store them parked and off, you need to find, deploy, turn on, and clear the reg...all while you are freaking out because your regulator just blew up in your face or your just took your last breath.

No different from isolation and valve drills on a twinset. Especially if the pony is side slung like a stage. Very easy to turn a valve on.

If you store it deployed and turned on, you might very well go to grab the reg and not have anything there, because unbeknownst to you, the reg has been leaking the entire dive and dumped your 20cft of 'redundancy' out.

Thats why someone invented SPGs. Yes you may argue its a failiure point but its a VERY rare failiure point. People diving independent twins also have to deal with that issue. Its no different to stage tanks which also have one.

Additionally, if you are at all trained to dive with high-O2 deco mixes, the whole concept of fumbling around blindly for a reg and breathing it should seem absurd.

Why would you fumble around blindly for a reg? If the kit is set up properly and well practiced theres no issue there.

It engrains habits that need to be 'forgotten' when you are carrying a deco mix. With doubles, the reaction is always the same....problem with the reg I'm breathing? Switch to the one on my neck, shutdown the post, notify buddy.

Same with a pony. Problem with reg? I'll just switch to the pony reg around my neck, notify buddy.....

Once you've come to the conclusion that you need redundancy, the best option is doubles with a squared away dive team.

In a perfect world with that perfect buddy yes. As i said though, its incredible inflexible, very elitist and limits diving oppertunities and other peoples learning ability. Twinsets are fine below a certain depth. Shallower though and a pony accomplishes exactly the same thing in a smaller and equally as effective package.

Soggy:
I know you are being somewhat facetious
Thats just my bright and joyous outlook on life :) but it was meant to be serious (or at least a serious speculation)

Soggy:
but I really believe that what you say is primarily true. It is often (not always...don't anyone get their panties in a bunch) a result of laziness or selfishness that people undertake solo diving as the 'safer' option. I will agree that a solo diver who goes into a dive knowing they are solo and brings the right gear is probably significantly safer than getting in the water with some schmuck, believing that they are buddy diving, when in reality they are just entering the water at the same approximate time and location.
Solo diving and team diving are both "solutions" to the underwater issues that divers will find themselves in. Why people gravitate to one side or the other, Who really knows. But because they made the choice they did, its almost unrealistic for one side to fully understand the other. When I read Curts comments, to me it reads like he has never ever even came close to diving with a team.

But it sure is fun to debate the issues :D

Soggy:
Again, this is the whole "If you're diving in a team, you cannot be self-sufficient" fallacious argument. Self-sufficiency is extremely important in a team environment. If you aren't self-sufficient, how can you possibly be able to help another?!

Agreed...you should be trained and have doubles if you are in that situation. That is why overhead environments require doubles.

That's what touch contact is for. If somehow you find yourself in a siltout and don't know where your buddy is, you again...have redundancy in the form of doubles, not some dinky little pony bottle.

No one is ever going to argue that overhead environments, soft or hard, don't require redundancy.

You can assist anyone from any condition, but your teammates couldn't do the same for you? That is what teamwork is about.

I do not dive doubles anymore, because all I do is sidemount diving because of the environment I dive in. In my case, many times two divers will not fit, or you would not want two divers in the hole mucking it up worse.

I also do not feel the recreational divers need to carry a set of doubles to conduct a simple reef or wreck dive. A single with a 18-30 cuft pony will be just fine.

For deeper decompression dives, I now use a Megalodon CCR and carry or stage bailout gas required if I need to come off the loop and back to OC.

String:
Great so in a perfect world you only dive with perfect buddies who you've obviously subjected to a battery of psychological, physical and mental aptitude tests on the surface to ensure they can respond under all conditions in an absolutely perfect way.
Thats the goal

I started thinking about getting a pony bottle after a couple of solo dive trips with boat pic bad buddies for dives. It can be a good idea, or it can get you into trouble. If you get one do not sling it from your back tank!! I could give you a link to my close call story doing it that way, but I'd rather not - kinda' like to see that thread ignored.

I had rejected the idea of slinging it as the advice I got, or at least what I remember reading, is that I could pass it off to a buddy. Didn't like that idea at all; I was buying it and carrying it so I could have it - even if I let a buddy breath off of it while holding onto me. What happened to me, tho, was I did not see the reg leaking and could not see the pony Spg. Sure enough, with my bad diving that day, I needed it, but it was nearly worthless.

Sling it so you can see the first stage, see the spg, turn it on if you forgot to earlier.

Which size? I chose a 19 cf as that would give me almost 1/4 of a 80 - equivalent to 750# for an emergency ascent. A 30 cf would give the equivalent to over 1,000# and probably would have been a better choice. Considering that you will need a separate reg, spg, and sling for this pony - regardless of size - and comparing size, carry weight, full buoyancy, empty buoyancy, and comparative prices say from this chart, I'd suggest at least a 19 if not a 30.

Curt Bowen:
I do not dive doubles anymore, because all I do is sidemount diving because of the environment I dive in. In my case, many times two divers will not fit, or you would not want two divers in the hole mucking it up worse.

Well, sidemount is really like independent doubles and I respect that wiggling through a hole that is half the size of a diver is a somewhat different situation than what most people typically encounter. :wink:

I also do not feel the recreational divers need to carry a set of doubles to conduct a simple reef or wreck dive. A single with a 18-30 cuft pony will be just fine.

We agree on the first point, but not on the second.

JeffG:
But it sure is fun to debate the issues :D

Yup, and I completely understand why someone could be driven to solo dive. Heck, this is the NorthEast...next to the UK, it is solo-diving central. Frequently, it's me and my teammate (or teammates) diving together and 5 solo divers on the boat. I respect their decision to solo dive. It is their choice. Some honestly believe that there is one less person in the water that can kill them and thus they are safer, but most of those people understand that there *are* problems that you cannot solve alone and are simply willing to take that risk. What I see on Scubaboard is a lot of people who choose to solo dive, or just grab a pony buddy (bunny? puddy? poddy?) that don't understand that.

Soggy:
Well, sidemount is really like independent doubles and I respect that wiggling through a hole that is half the size of a diver is a somewhat different situation than what most people typically encounter. :wink:

We agree on the first point, but not on the second.

Does that mean I should put all my doubles back togather? :)

I think I will stick to my CCR for now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom