pony bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curt Bowen:
Web Monkey:
HP hoses will not drain the cylinder quickly but

LP hoses will drain a cylinder within 2 minutes or less.

(an emergency)

I know its late and I'm seeing cross-eyed but I'm confused. Why would a LP (low pressure) hose failure drain a cylender in 2 minutes or less and a HP (high pressure) hose failure NOT drain a cylender quickly? Seems like it would be the opposite. But, as I said, I am seeing things a little weird tonight.

carldarl:
I know its late and I'm seeing cross-eyed but I'm confused. Why would a LP (low pressure) hose failure drain a cylender in 2 minutes or less and a HP (high pressure) hose failure NOT drain a cylender quickly? Seems like it would be the opposite. But, as I said, I am seeing things a little weird tonight.
The "hole" on the hp is very small, so in fact not much gas can squeeze though it.

Think of it this way. A drinking straw at high pressue vs a 4" pvc pipe. Which one will allow more water to move through it.

Rick Inman:
If, after researching the advantages and disadvantages of caring a pony bottle you decide to get one, here is my two cents:

• 30cf min.
  • Sling it. (you can do a search for info on slinging)

May I ask, are you planning on diving solo, or don't trust your buddy?

i was just scrollin thru and didnt read all the previous posts just the highlights

rick said exactally what i was gonna say
30 is good 40 is better but its all personal preference...
and yeah no question about it..
sling it...
i have a 30. if i had to do it again (and i will) i lget a 40
ive used it for a pony, and now as a stage
i put a 5 foot hose on the reg so i can comfortably run the hose behind my head and into my mouth (slung on my left side)
ill upload a few pics that show how i have it rigged, and can take some with it actually to my rig as well..

Good luck
i hope this helps
just gimme a minn on the pics

my1ocean:
One really can't argue with redundancy. It's always good to have redundancy, but in some cases, is it necesary?

This is the crux of the issue, followed by how much is adequate.

Given that diving takes place in a non life sustaining environment, anytime a diver approaches the boundaries of his ability to easily execute a controlled escape or exit from this environment, whether in terms of depth, overhead obstruction, entanglement hazards or other considerations affecting exit, risk management - which equates to safety, demands gas system redundancy. Failure to employ such creates an exponential increase in risk. It's important to note this increased risk may still be relatively minor and acceptable for some. Good gear is very reliable these days. Good maintenance, along with everything else that goes with being a good, sound, prudent and skilled diver, diving within reasonable limits, results in an acceptable risk vs. reward equation for many diving without it. This includes those who choose a less than optimum, from a safety point, redundant system.

Both a buddy, as well as equipment, provide redundancy. Both present advantages and disadvantages. And for all the buddy talk, tech divers carry redundancy in the form of equipment, as well as in the form of a buddy for most. The buddy does not preclude or exclude gear redundancy. But we are talking recreational, not technical diving, although the lines are not well defined and blur at the edges.

Some deem equipment redundancy necessary at the deeper rec. depth levels. Others beyond their personal comfortable exit level. Others at all levels in this environment. Others choose it due do to questionable buddies or because they do not want to exclusively rely on a buddy for gas system redundancy. Others choose the buddy option up to their various personal acceptable limits. Others throw caution to the currents. Others practice all of the above.

As to how much is adequate, that's a personal decision for every skilled, informed diver to make. I say that because if one lacks the requisite knowledge one can't expect to make a good acceptable, well informed decision. There are some very good pony threads on this board. And reading many of them will provide a well rounded understanding of the issues, along with a lot of nonsense to keep the thinking juices flowing.

The part about full doubles being always best leaves out the specific defining properties which determine whether this is in fact the case. As a generalization it is false. Not everyone has the same needs, dives the same dives, or will take the same path throughout their diving life. The specific requirements needed to optimize for a 30 ft warm water dive are different than for a 120 ft cold water dive. The same applies with respect to the choice of whether to optimize for any one specific dive or for all of one's dives overall. Different circumstances impose different needs which demand different implementations for optimization.

Best - denotes a relationship. Relationships are relative to their specific properties. Only then, from any one specific perspective, can they be seen as an absolute.

I hope am not confusing too much.

Curt Bowen:
You should ... always carry a complete alternate air supply ... even a spare air will work...
hehehehe... This might be the best contribution to SB yet! May I quote you?

MB:
Originally Posted by Curt Bowen
You should ... always carry a complete alternate air supply ... even a spare air will work...
hehehehe... This might be the best contribution to SB yet! May I quote you?
Looks like you already did. I was going to be nice and overlook the Spare Air comment. :)

In my opinion, use a pony bottle for the right reasons. As some have mentioned, go technical with a 40cf stage (Nitrox) for deco. Better yet, go with doubles.

Originally Posted by NJScubaDoc
If you dive low viz then the only person you can count on in an emergency is yourself

Soggy:
That's an utter load of crap.

Why?

NJScubaDoc:
NJScubaDoc:
If you dive low viz then the only person you can count on in an emergency is yourself
That's an utter load of crap.

Why?

Because it is simply not true.

I dive in low visibility all the time. Look at where I'm from. Good visibility is 15 ft. Bad visibility is from my eyes to my gauge. I have done a number of brail dives on wrecks in the area and I dive them as a team. We dive with BFLs (big freakin' lights) so we can use light signals and, if necessary stay in touch contact. An emergency is indicated by rapid flashing back and forth (or highly irratic flashing), OK is a circle, etc, etc. The only way visibility affects a team is if the members do not know how to dive in low visibility as a team...and it's not that difficult. It just requires *discipline*.

Team diving does not break down just because you cannot easily see each other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom