Pony bottle with DIN or Yoke??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OCdiving Deb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey all:

I need your advice please. I am adding a pony bottle to my gear because all of my buddies are also photographers which practically makes us solo divers at least during part of each dive. I want a redundant air source and I am doing it.

That said, I need to decide whether to have the pony bottle as a DIN set-up or yoke. Do you have practical reasons for one versus the other?

My tanks are all HP steel and so my primary reg setup is DIN. I am converting my old regulator to the pony bottle and am buying a brand new regulator which will definitely be DIN. I must decide whether to convert my old reg back to yoke to fit the pony OR put a DIN valve on the pony tank.

Brainstorm please! What are the pros and cons of DIN or yoke on the pony bottle?

Thanks,
Deb

kelphelper:
Hey all:

I need your advice please. I am adding a pony bottle to my gear because all of my buddies are also photographers which practically makes us solo divers at least during part of each dive. I want a redundant air source and I am doing it.

That said, I need to decide whether to have the pony bottle as a DIN set-up or yoke. Do you have practical reasons for one versus the other?

My tanks are all HP steel and so my primary reg setup is DIN. I am converting my old regulator to the pony bottle and am buying a brand new regulator which will definitely be DIN. I must decide whether to convert my old reg back to yoke to fit the pony OR put a DIN valve on the pony tank.

Brainstorm please! What are the pros and cons of DIN or yoke on the pony bottle?

Thanks,
Deb

DIN, more streamlined.

I can see a couple of problems right off. First is that if/when You go to another store other than the one You use regularly, some kid could look at the valve arrangement and seeing DIN they might be inclined to fill the pony bottle to 3500 psig instead of reading the lable on the bottle. Some stores are in a hurry. Not all employees are created equal. Some look at each bottle some don't.
The second problem is that if You travel to distant dive sites and they don't pump High Pressure, Your stuck bringing an adapter to fill the bottles or to install Your regulator for the dives. Personally, I have both so I will be prepared for anything. B--

dilligaf368:
I can see a couple of problems right off. First is that if/when You go to another store other than the one You use regularly, some kid could look at the valve arrangement and seeing DIN they might be inclined to fill the pony bottle to 3500 psig instead of reading the lable on the bottle. Some stores are in a hurry. Not all employees are created equal. Some look at each bottle some don't.
The second problem is that if You travel to distant dive sites and they don't pump High Pressure, Your stuck bringing an adapter to fill the bottles or to install Your regulator for the dives. Personally, I have both so I will be prepared for anything. B--

Ok, yoke it is.

dilligaf368:
I can see a couple of problems right off. First is that if/when You go to another store other than the one You use regularly, some kid could look at the valve arrangement and seeing DIN they might be inclined to fill the pony bottle to 3500 psig instead of reading the lable on the bottle. --

Forgive me here if I'm wrong, but he said his tanks are all HP steel, so if his pony is HP Steel, then will this still cause a problem? (aren't most HP steel 3500psi?)

(or is the pony 3000psi aluminum? I don't know if i've ever seen a steel pony).

dilligaf368:
I can label the tank to stress the psi. I use masking tape and a marker on the shoulder of my other tanks to draw attention to certain info. This is especially helpful with my newer PST E7.

Since I don't plan to use the air in this pony bottle very often, I am unlikely to need a refill on a dive boat. Yeah, it could happen but not likely... All the local boats have the adaptor for DIN fills.

Keep going! I like your thought processes. Others??

I was kinda thinking about the advantages of being able to keep my regs on the pony for good soaking while on pressure. But then, I could use my DIN adaptor for that.

mike_s:
Forgive me here if I'm wrong, but he said his tanks are all HP steel, so if his pony is HP Steel, then will this still cause a problem? (aren't most HP steel 3500psi?)

I believe they are HER tanks.......

I have AL6 for drysuit inflation. It has a DIN valve, never had a problem nor has it been cave filled.

mike_s:

My regular tanks are all HP steel, fillable to 3442 and 3500 psi.

The pony is Al and fillable to 3000 psi.

And I think the point about filling was for travel diving, when I would be using their tanks anyway. I haven't decided whether I will drag the pony on my trip to Hawaii next month. Something else to consider!!

And yes, I am most definitely a girl. Thanks for straightening that out Ice!

To me, this is a dirt simple argument.

All your other regs are DIN. Your valves are DIN. Get DIN.

What happens if you're somewhere and need to swap out regs because one dies on you?

Furthermore, if you're going to sling it somewhere, DIN is a lot smaller and less likely to be banged around.

My singles, my doubles, my deco bottles, and my argon bottle, are all 300Bar DIN valves. All of my regs are DIN. It's a stronger connection and less likely to blow an o-ring.

I keep an adapter in My save a dive kit and have never had a problem getting fills.

I do switch one reg over to Yoke when Traveling

Back
Top Bottom