Pony Bottle Regulator Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never been trained on Nitrox, nor have I done any diving with it, but I like your idea of the Nitrox mix in the pony. Would it be OK for a recreational diver like me to, to adopt that idea (mine is only a 6 cu.ft. Bottle), and if so, what mix would you recommend?

Thanks - Samer

there is absolutely no reason to fill a 6 cu-ft pony with nitrox! If they are using partial pressure mixing, you have the potential to get the wrong mix (which could kill you). Filling with air, allows you to top it off when you go get the main tanks filled. If you use nitrox, you may have to fully vent and refill each time... for essentially zero benefit.

Also if you insist on using nitrox, then the dive shop may well charge you to fill it. If you are just topping off with air (adding 500 psi) I doubt a dive shop would charge you.

I'm sorry, I know everyone likes to hear themselves talk, but, is this guy really going to have a clue what you are telling him?

Just stick to air until you've had training.

there is absolutely no reason to fill a 6 cu-ft pony with nitrox! If they are using partial pressure mixing, you have the potential to get the wrong mix (whichcould kill you). Filling with air, allows you to top it off when you go get the main tanks filled. If you use nitrox, you may have to fully vent and refill each time... for essentially zero benefit.

Also if you insist on using nitrox, then the dive shop may well charge you to fill it. If you are just topping off with air (adding 500 psi) I doubt a dive shop would charge you.

Maybe he will see these parts??? :D

I appreciate ALL the replies so far, but THIS GUY (me) is not an idiot! THIS GUY understands everything that has been posted so far, and although THIS GUY (me again) is not Nitrox certified, he happens to be a 51 year old engineer (so he understands a little bit of science) with an AOW certification.

Besides If you've read the entire thread, you'll see that I've already indicated in my post @ #25, that I will NOT be using Nitrox and that if I decide to go that route, I would take a Nitrox course.

Thanks - Samer

Dude, chill out and don't be so sensitive. I didn't call you an idiot. Tell me, what does the acronym ConVENTID stand for? (Don't google it.) The old saying "you don't know what you don't know" likely applies.

My point is you might be 51 year old engineer and no this isn't rocket science to learn but please do learn it first rather then just filling up a pony bottle with some mix that was suggested to you on the internet. IMO it's kind of important to understand what EANx is, how to plan a dive and how to follow proper procedures to know you are diving what you think you are diving.

I use what I was trained on. If a single back cylinder then primary and 2 regs. Pony SPG and single secondary reg. I use the KISS principle. Keep It Simple Stupid. When things go wrong then you need simplicity. Too many regs, hoses, gauges computers etc etc and its all a tangle when it all turns to hell, bad vis, current surge etc.With regard to Nx if you are using it as an emergency gas then Air only. In a panic you could be at 40m and swap to a gas you cant use with bad results. Once again KISS. If you are tech and doing deco then a different story. I sling mine per DIR and find it simple and practical Search it on the web Do It Rite I think it is. Shows how to rig, sling etc. Great site.

If you've read the entire thread, you'll see that I've already indicated in my post @ #25, that I will NOT be using Nitrox and that if I decide to go that route, I would take a Nitrox course

please do learn it first rather then just filling up a pony bottle with some mix that was suggested to you on the internet

Really???

You know, I don't care anymore. Breath any gas, even the wrong gas. I don't care.

isn't there a thread going on right now about posting before reading the other posts?

Arrest 'em....

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2013 at 01:44 PM ----------

there is absolutely no reason to fill a 6 cu-ft pony with nitrox! ...essentially zero benefit.

Well, there's certainly benefit:

If the diver is using nitrox back-gas, it prevents a dissimilar gas gradient on ascent, compared to the rest of the dive. Breathe nitrox for the descent/bottom-portion of the dive, then switch to air for the ascent could be a fast-track towards DCS.

If the diver is using air back-gas, then switching to nitrox for ascent would bring a higher differential and increase off-gassing...

-EANx 32% has an efficiency ration of 1:1.16
-EANx 36% has an efficiency ration of 1:1.21
-EANx 40% has an efficiency ration of 1:1.32

Those efficiency rations, especially at 40% mix, represent a significant off-gassing advantage.

If they are using partial pressure mixing,....

And yet... if they are filling from banked....and/or...charging per cuft O2,...as many places do...

you have the potential to get the wrong mix (which could kill you).

Same applies to any nitrox, which is why nitrox divers are trained to analyze and confirm the mix/mod.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom