Pony Bottle Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeHoncho

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm considering a pony bottle for redundancy (not specifically for running out of air in my primary bottle). I currently have a Air2 and no Octo. I would like to add a Octo (regardless if I get a pony). If I go with a pony, would it be wise to add a long hose to it and consider that my primary Octo and my Air2 as a secondary pr add a Octo in addition to the pony regulator (that's a lot of stuff hanging) Again, I'm into redundancy. I dive exclusively in PNW in cold weather gear (limited visibility, cold as heck, limited mobility). What size pony would you recommend? I envision it clamped to my bottle. I dive a Hydros and steel 100's, Thanks!

I'm considering a pony bottle for redundancy (not specifically for running out of air in my primary bottle). I currently have a Air2 and no Octo. I would like to add a Octo (regardless if I get a pony). If I go with a pony, would it be wise to add a long hose to it and consider that my primary Octo and my Air2 as a secondary pr add a Octo in addition to the pony regulator (that's a lot of stuff hanging) Again, I'm into redundancy. I dive exclusively in PNW in cold weather gear (limited visibility, cold as heck, limited mobility). What size pony would you recommend? I envision it clamped to my bottle. I dive a Hydros and steel 100's, Thanks!
Dive 2 2nds, not 3. Air 2 on a corrugated long enough to be used with ease and your primary on at least a 40" hose. If your buddy needs air then you go to the air 2 and they get your primary. I use a similar setup. Air 2 on a 22" corrugated, 40" primary and back mounted pony. I prefer upside-down back mount pony so I can manipulate the valve if needed. Some like theirs right-side up. Others like to sling theirs. If you're doing any photography then back mount is the way to go. Run the 36" hose under your arm and clip off to a chest D-ring. Be ready for lots of opinions.
IMG_4414..jpg

What size pony would you recommend?

It depends on what it's for. You should read up on "rock bottom gas" as a foundational gas planning concept. Make sure you understand what rock bottom gas is for then assess the size you need for a pony based on the max depth you intend to use it.

There are more nuances to carrying redundant gas in this way. For example, don't be tempted to include it in your gas planning, and do not think "it's ok to go low on gas I've got a pony". It's there for the very specific case of increasing your self reliance in the case of being unable to get gas from a buddy, not to make up for poor gas planning or to extend your bottom time.

A buddy going OOA when you've got 300psi on your back at 100ft it's going to turn into a **** show when you realize you have to buddy breath off your pony and you've lost your lp inflation on your wing and drysuit.

If you have to use it without there being an emergency you should consider that a significant dive planning and execution **** up.

I used to dive solo, and would dive with an AL40 pony filled with air or 32%. I rigged it like a deco / stage bottle, and would sling it on the left side. A smaller one would work too, but In an "oh s***!" situation, I really don't want to be worrying about if an AL19 is enough gas. In any case, I found the AL40 not to be too bad. Kind of a PITA lugging an extra bottle around on the surface, and pretty annoying that time I had to crawl over giant kelp on the surface, but underwater I barely noticed it.

How to set it up this way: FROG KICK DIVING | FKD
Or, you can go with a kit for a few bucks, maybe that's a little easier to set up: Halcyon Dive Systems

I haven't dive solo in a few years, so that same AL40 is now an O2 bottle, for emergency oxygen. I set it up with a RescuEAN before each shore dive, and leave it in the truck: Home (Desktop)

I sling an al40 whenever I can.

Put your primary on a long hose. You can keep, or get rid of the octo. Your call.

And it's not always a pony. Some times it is part of my dive plan. Redundancy, and 120cf of air when combined with an Al80. Or for shore dives with a rough entry, an al40 on my back and another slung.

19cf Pony. Back Mount. Air 2.

ykFd6Mx.jpg

nobody can answer what size pony until you specify your depth. You will also need to specify or assume your SAC (air consumption rate) and also how long you want to give yourself at the maximum depth to address a potential problem - while using the pony. You also need to decide if you are going to do a safety stop and what kind of ascent rate you will use. Once you have assembled the data, people can help you select the right size. I'm personally very comfortable with a 13 cu ft in 100 feet, but you need to run YOUR numbers/assumptions.

I'm a big fan of back mounted pony because it is not in the way.
Taking an extra second stage is most likely a bad idea - it adds complexity, the potential for confusion, an additional failure source and the potential benefit is infinitesimal, primarily because the probability of the extra second stage being beneficial is hard to imagine.
I like the pony bottle reg on a necklace.
I like the Air 2 ( most people here hate them) - but they are particularly useful for diving with a pony.
I mount the pony upright and leave the valve on.

People love to argue pony bottles on this forum, especially the people who don't use them.

Here I've got a 3L STEEL tank inverted with a 1200mm long hose, clipped to left shoulder D ring

186 DSC06693.JPG

and put 50% in there to allow for various changes in recreational plans and pump it to the max

nobody can answer what size pony until you specify your depth. You will also need to specify or assume your SAC (air consumption rate) and also how long you want to give yourself at the maximum depth to address a potential problem - while using the pony. You also need to decide if you are going to do a safety stop and what kind of ascent rate you will use. Once you have assembled the data, people can help you select the right size. I'm personally very comfortable with a 13 cu ft in 100 feet, but you need to run YOUR numbers/assumptions.

I'm a big fan of back mounted pony because it is not in the way.
Taking an extra second stage is most likely a bad idea - it adds complexity, the potential for confusion, an additional failure source and the potential benefit is infinitesimal, primarily because the probability of the extra second stage being beneficial is hard to imagine.
I like the pony bottle reg on a necklace.
I like the Air 2 ( most people here hate them) - but they are particularly useful for diving with a pony.
I mount the pony upright and leave the valve on.

People love to argue pony bottles on this forum, especially the people who don't use them.
So to make sure I’m understanding you. Yes on the air2 (not going to replace it anyway), yes on a pony (size to be determined) with the reg in a necklace or comparable accessibility and no octo? I appreciate your input

Simply having a redundant air on your person, which you could easily use in an emergency, is by far the #1 priority. Beyond that, much of the "debate" is simply optimization.

What size pony would you recommend?

I created a fairly detailed breakdown here: What Are Your "Pro-Tips" for Safety, Redundancy, and Accident Handling

It highly depends on the type of diving you do, and like I said earlier #1 priority is even having redundant air on your person when you need it. The ideal size is based on your needs and unique situation, which the above post attempts to break down.

If I go with a pony, would it be wise to add a long hose to it and consider that my primary Octo and my Air2 as a secondary pr add a Octo in addition to the pony regulator
Check the "octo or no octo" section at the bottom of the above post. If adding an "octo" to a pony ... that seems like a lot of complexity and entanglement.

My redundant air (pony or full-sized tank) has a long-hose, but it's also tucked under bungies 99% of the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom