Pony Bottle Regulator Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave.E

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Which setup is standard when using a pony bottle?

Primary Tank - 1st stage, second stage, octo
Pony Bottle - 1st stage, octo

OR

Primary Tank - 1st stage, second stage

I'm not planning on getting one yet... Just wondering.

Thanks!

Dave

I use a first stage and a primary second stage on my pony set up.
If I am going to my pony , something bad had to happen for me to be using it.
I don't want to add to the problems at hand.

Jim Breslin

Just a suggestion, steer clear of all those pony tank mounting gizmos and set it up like a stage bottle and clip it to your waist and shoulder rings (or equiv) if you have them. Search for info on stage rigging if you need info on how it's done. I tried all sorts of ways to mount ponies in the past and slinging it is best IMHO. You will have easy valve access, easy reading of the spg. If you carry a 19 or 30 this way you will forget it is there. All the other methods resulted in bad hose routing, lack of access to valve, lack of access to spg, and were more of a pain to deal with when switching tanks. With propper gas management shouldn't matter if you have an octo on your main tank as long as you have enough gas in the pony to get you or your bud to the surface with a safety stop.

OR

Primary Tank - 1st stage, second stage

I'm not planning on getting one yet... Just wondering.

Thanks!

Dave
I like the first method and is what I use. First it allows sharing either tank, and second if I don't take my pony I still have a mandatory octo.

I have a regular first and second stage, with a small SPG on my pony. Like JBRES1 said, you want a good, reliable product for when you actually need it. I'm not saying an octo wouldn't work, but my first and second stage on my pony are nearly identical to the ones I normally use for comfort.

When used, I reserve the pony for my own redundant air source use. It's not for donation to my buddy. Buddy gets my octo if they need it (I use 7' long-hose primary donate, with necklace bungee back-up). The pony is mine.. so that I needn't rely upon a gas donation from my buddy if I'm out-of-air.

I set-up my pony as per a deco/stage cylinder; slung-mounted, pressurized and closed. 2nd stage is on a 36" hose bungeed to the cylinder. SPG on a 6" HP hose. Suitable cylinder volume represents 1/3rd of my primary/back-gas volume (de-facto 'rule-of-thirds' diving). I'll normally put an appropriate nitrox mix in it, so that it can provide some off-gassing benefit in a stressed ascent.

Haven't used a pony much in the last few years though... sidemount is more convenient. I do use/teach pony cylinder on my Deep Diver courses though..

I have an AL40 on a stage rigging set up (best way to do it, don't mount it to your main tank), I have a 1st and 2nd with a 1" gauge, similar to my main set up. You want reliability, above all it needs to be there and work perfectly when you need it.

get one! dive with it! think of it this way... you have seat belts and air bags in your car and you hope you never have to use them. you can get everything used starting around $350. don't get a spare air. 6 cu ft min. think about those that want you to make it through an out if air situation. cheers, --c

Two thoughts:

1. If there is a 'standard' configuration, it would be the first example you mentioned.
2. You may want to stay away from the term 'octo' altogether. As you appear to be using it, it implies a second stage that is somehow different from your (primary) second stage. A better description would be 'primary second stage' and 'alternate second stage'. As several have mentioned, there should be no functional difference between the two second stages.

Using that terminology, the 'standard' configuration for a pony bottle is:

Primary Cylinder - 1st stage, primary second stage, alternate second stage
Pony Bottle - 1st stage, primary second stage

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom