Pony Bottle Regulator Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He put his opinion in that you don't need to understand nitrox to dive it in a pony...

Not sure what difference being in a pony makes but yes that is what I was implying for recreational/non-deco diving

...and now only writes one line quips to challenge me as if I don't know what I'm talking about

That's some imagination you've got there

Of course you need to know 1) how to analyze tank contents 2) select a max ppo2 (1.2, 1.4, 1.6 ) and why you are selecting it 3) calculate the mod for a mix and 4) calculate the best mix for a planned max depth

If you said "should" instead of "need" I might agree. I guess you could equally say you should know decompression theory to calculate your NDL for air on a recreational dive

Last time I dove nitrox (as backgas) you had a choice of banked 28 or 32 and the hard bottom was 28m. Lots of people dive like that with nitrox-capable computers and would struggle to calculate MOD if you gave them a calculator, let alone best mix

If you said "should" instead of "need" I might agree. I guess you could equally say you should know decompression theory to calculate your NDL for air on a recreational dive

Last time I dove nitrox (as backgas) you had a choice of banked 28 or 32 and the hard bottom was 28m. Lots of people dive like that with nitrox-capable computers and would struggle to calculate MOD if you gave them a calculator, let alone best mix

if you are going to counter someone's point based on their use of "need" vs "should", I think it is prudent to provide more information that just "no you don't".

However, I agree that you could dive nitrox trusting someone else to tell you the MOD and using nitrox tables in place of your air tables, or just adjusting your computer. On the flip side, the course takes a few hours and doesn't cost all that much, why not just take it?

Not sure what your gear configuration is but I use a halcyon back plate with argon straps for a 6 cu ft bail out bottle when diving in warmer climates. I have a small dry suit regulator (highland) with a button gauge don't need to see how much air I have as the 6 will get me to the surface safely, I have a octo length hose with 1 second stage. Otherwise i'm in doubles with a 40 deco plenty of gas as well as redundancy.

Which setup is standard when using a pony bottle?

Primary Tank - 1st stage, second stage, octo
Pony Bottle - 1st stage, octo

OR

Primary Tank - 1st stage, second stage
Pony Bottle - 1st stage, octo

I'm not planning on getting one yet... Just wondering.

Thanks!

Dave

I dive this
Primary Tank - 1st stage, second stage, Airsource3 as Octo/inflator
Pony Bottle - 1st stage, octo (pony to my primary tank with a cam band - donate-able if need be)

Its a simple, streamlined config for me and I like it alot. I dive a back inflate and with a wetsuit, only add 7lbs of lead in freshwater. And my pony is on all the time. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom