Pony Bottle Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All cert agencies recomend not running out of air in the first place.

Perhaps you were out that day?

Sure they do. Driving schools also recommend not having a car accident. What is your point? Everyone agrees that having a car accident is a bad idea. Does this mean we shouldn't wear seat belts? There are driving schools specialized for safety. How to be a safer driver. Yet even if you are successful graduate of one and in 20 years of driving you did not have a single car accident it is still prudent to wear your seat belt.

Dr Wu:

Gas planning and management aside, carrying redundant gas is a good safety precaution for many of the reasons others have listed above, whether solo or buddy diving. Lots of things can happen in "easy" or "safe" or "whatever" water, and nobody ever died from having too much gas.

Peace,
Greg

Sure they do. Driving schools also recommend not having a car accident. What is your point? Everyone agrees that having a car accident is a bad idea. Does this mean we shouldn't wear seat belts? There are driving schools specialized for safety. How to be a safer driver. Yet even if you are successful graduate of one and in 20 years of driving you did not have a single car accident it is still prudent to wear your seat belt.

You have taken issue with my response to this statement made by Rocketmahn:

He may be so focused on waiting for his "subject" to move to the perfect spot or just the right light that he forgets to check his SPG and runs out of air.

My feeling is a redundant source is not meant to be a replacement for monitoring your primary gas supply.

If your gas plan includes a pony because you just might "forget" to check your SPG your entire gas plan is faulty and you need to re-examine your training.

I don’t think encouraging a diver to strap on a pony and shut off his brain is appropriate.

Apparently you feel differently.

That's fine but I promise you one of these philosophies is right and the other is wrong.

SORRY WE ARE ALL NOT PERFECT DIVERS LIKE YOU!! IM SURE YOU HAVE NEVER , EVER MADE A MISTAKE IN YOUR DIVING CAREER:rofl3:

The next time you have such a deeply original thought I would suggest you copy and paste directly from the person you have stolen it from. It would save you a great deal of typing and save us from the ALL CAPS you are apparently so fond of.

You have taken issue with my response to this statement made by Rocketmahn:

He may be so focused on waiting for his "subject" to move to the perfect spot or just the right light that he forgets to check his SPG and runs out of air.

My feeling is a redundant source is not meant to be a replacement for monitoring your primary gas supply.

If your gas plan includes a pony because you just might "forget" to check your SPG your entire gas plan is faulty and you need to re-examine your training.

I don’t think encouraging a diver to strap on a pony and shut off his brain is appropriate.

Apparently you feel differently.

That's fine but I promise you one of these philosophies is right and the other is wrong.

The next time you have such a deeply original thought I would suggest you copy and paste directly from the person you have stolen it from. It would save you a great deal of typing and save us from the ALL CAPS you are apparently so fond of.

Dude, we all agree that checking SPG is the right thing to do. Not running out of gas is also the right thing to do. But I promise you that contingency planning is also right philosophy.

Ideally people check SPG but check the Spiegel Grove incident when young man didn't pay attention to SPG spearfishing. We all agree it was not smart thing to do but it happened. We are just people. If poor guy (quadriplegic due to DCI) had pony bottle he would be in better shape.

So bottom line is that in theory there is no difference between theory and practice in practice there is.

I agree completely with these two statements, but I fail to see how they have anything to do with this thread. If the OP had said something like "I sometimes forget to look at my SPG and I've run OOA a few times, so should I get a pony?" then your advice would be relevant. Since she did not, it's irrelevant and a little arrogant to assume she's using a pony to address a training/behavior deficiency. That's what I objected to your post.

On another thread, one of the million spats about spare air, I kind of said something along the lines of your reasoning (and got bitch-slapped for it as you are in this thread) because I feel that the simple decision to use a spare air as redundant gas in scuba is a questionable one, but that's obviously a controversial opinion. And, more importantly, the thread topic was about the validity of spare air. This thread is (well, was) about specific type of pony advice.

I agree completely with these two statements, but I fail to see how they have anything to do with this thread. If the OP had said something like "I sometimes forget to look at my SPG and I've run OOA a few times, so should I get a pony?" then your advice would be relevant. Since she did not, it's irrelevant and a little arrogant to assume she's using a pony to address a training/behavior deficiency. That's what I objected to your post.

On another thread, one of the million spats about spare air, I kind of said something along the lines of your reasoning (and got bitch-slapped for it as you are in this thread) because I feel that the simple decision to use a spare air as redundant gas in scuba is a questionable one, but that's obviously a controversial opinion. And, more importantly, the thread topic was about the validity of spare air. This thread is (well, was) about specific type of pony advice.

Once again, I was responding to a particular post within the thread. The post in question was not made by the OP. Reading the content of the entire thread would have helped you here.

The person I was responding to created a laundry list of reasons to carry a pony. That list included many I consider absurd but the one I took the most notice of was when he stated that a pony might be useful in the case of a diver FORGETTING to monitor their primary gas source and run out of air.

Perhaps I am arrogant for thinking that divers should keep track of their back gas.

Perhaps I am arrogant for pointing this out to you.

Perhaps you know of a way of diving safely that allows a pony to make up for poor choices and asinine gas management.

Perhaps.

But I don't think so. Stop being willfully obtuse. Get back to me when you have read the entire thread and fully understand what is being discussed here.

The day you observe me "bitch slapped" in a Scubaboard thread is the day I hand you the keys to my garage and ask you to haul away all my gear.

As far as your interest in a Spare Air? Keep it to yourself. That device is not worth a mention in a true diver discussion.

Dive safe and smart.

Dr Wu

Guys - your egos are getting in the way. PM each other or start a new thread. Or, re-read the OP and post your thoughts in that context. You are hijacking her thread.

Guys - your egos are getting in the way. PM each other or start a new thread. Or, re-read the OP and post your thoughts in that context. You are hijacking her thread.

She is evidently smarter and wiser than us, as she bailed of this burning wreck 36 hours ago.:wink:

She is evidently smarter and wiser than us, as she bailed of this burning wreck 36 hours ago.:wink:

Can you tell how long ago someone viewed a thread? Neat. How?

Thanks.

Her questions were answered. She stated so earlier and thanked all for the responses.

The conversation continued and I took issue with some of the points being offered.

Others returned opinions and engaged in discussion. Every message was relevant to the original question.

The only person cluttering up the thread is you.

Stop doing that.

Please return the Scubaboard hall monitor arm band to the office as soon as possible. There are other BizzyBodies waiting to wear it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom