Pony Bottle Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

helen67

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I'm looking to get a pony bottle for my husband but I'm not sure what is the best brand, size, and what parts are needed for a complete set up. He usually dives no more than 60 feet alone and he's not an "air hog" but does use more air than I.

What size pony tank is recommended? I was thinking of a 19. Also what else do I need to get to complete the set up? Any suggestions or recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks!

I am a believer in a 19 cu ft pony (for recreational diving). They are the biggest that you can get without either needing a double bracket or having to sling them around the front. And if you don't go much below about 90 feet and stay within NDLs, 19 cubic feet really ought to be enough to get you and/or your buddy out of most jams that spare gas might be needed.

You might be able to get away with a 13 cu ft, but you lose about a third of your gas for not much saving in terms of size and weight (valve and regulator are the same, no matter how small the pony).

Conversely the next size up is normally a 30 cu ft, but it is a lot bulkier, and unless you have got your foot stuck in a giant clam, I don't really see the upside.

What size pony tank is recommended? I was thinking of a 19. Also what else do I need to get to complete the set up?

Sorry - forgot that bit - you'll need a bracket (or pony tamer) to attach to the primary tank, and of course a second regulator (first stage, second stage and usually only a button pressure gauge). Some people prefer to sling them in the front, but if you are carrying a small pony to my mind it makes more sense to stick it behind you and out of the way.

Thanks Rhone Man. He does stay above 60 feet for his afternoon dive. All he is doing is just taking photos and if my ears aren't bothering me I go as well but I'm not going to hold him back from diving while on vacation.

What brands do you suggest for the pony and reg? Whats the best store to buy at? Is the long slim style better than the short fat style? Lastly, quality wise, are all the bottles the same? Thanks again!

I was facing the same thing few months ago.

Decided to go with AL19 because it is big enough to help and yet small enough so I can travel with (put it in my carry-on).

I sling it myself as it is my preferred way (you can give it to someone if need be and you can easily reach it).

As far as regulators are concerned, I went with HOG D1 Cold and HOG 2nd stage simply because it is good reg at great price and it is now my standard reg.

My pony came with ScubaMax reg and pressure gauge/button that I just got completely serviced and rebuilt and tested that I plan to sell (was about to place it on the sale here).

Thanks Rhone Man. He does stay above 60 feet for his afternoon dive. All he is doing is just taking photos and if my ears aren't bothering me I go as well but I'm not going to hold him back from diving while on vacation.

What brands do you suggest for the pony and reg? Whats the best store to buy at? Lastly, quality wise, are all the bottles the same? Thanks again!

I tend to buy all my gear online (favourite store: leisurepro). I don't think it matters which brand of tank you buy; I am not familiar enough with brackets to make a recommendation (I don't think there is much in it - just make sure you get one the right size for your pony). For your regulator, I'd just get a low cost workhorse, like the Sherwood Brut. For a button pressure gauge, just get the cheapest one you can find - all you need it to tell you is "full or empty".

But I'd recommend talking to your local dive store. They will usually try to match online prices, and it is important that whatever regulator you buy, there is someone available locally to service it.

Hi,
I'm looking to get a pony bottle for my husband but I'm not sure what is the best brand, size, and what parts are needed for a complete set up. He usually dives no more than 60 feet alone and he's not an "air hog" but does use more air than I.

What size pony tank is recommended? I was thinking of a 19. Also what else do I need to get to complete the set up? Any suggestions or recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks!

If he is not planning to go technical route later 19cuf is a good choice covering recreational depth. Besides you will need a bracket to connect the bottle to the tank + regulator and an inch pony gauge will be helpful.

If he is going tech route soon he would definitely appreciate Luxfer 40cuf tank that he can use as a pony now and an O2 deco bottle later.

Regardless if this is to be used as a "bailout" bottle or one day as a stage/deco bottle, I recommend an Al 40. Plenty of gas and can be slung out of the way during the whole dive.
I have a Luxfer 40 with an OMS Workhorse Reg and homemade Sling Kit. Ever since I started slinging my bottle I have gotten it out of the way and it is perfect.

I think a 40 would be considered overkill by most recreational divers, even though it does have other uses if your husband goes the tech route. The 19cft is a good recommendation. I think a good pony reg is the scubapro MK2/R190. One good thing about it is that the first stage is an unbalanced piston design which is almost bombproof, rarely needs servicing, and if used with an unbalanced 2nd stage like the R190, will begin to breathe more stiffly when the tank has under 500PSI. For a small pony especially, this is a useful 'warning' that air is very low. You can skip the SPG (IMO) if you use a reg like this on a pony, just check the pony's pressure before you start the dive. (with another reg or a tank checker)

A 19cft pony is like having 750PSI in a AL80; that's a very reasonable reserve for recreational diving in OW. In terms of what brand to get, luxfers are the most common.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom