Pony Bottle Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How is the 19 to travel with? We only dive in the Caribbean. I think it's between the 19 and 13 depending on which is better to travel with. Rarely we go beyond 110 ft, we've just done the Hilma Hooker and Superior Producer wrecks. Unless its something super special we wont dive deep. Occassionally I go to 80-85 if I want to check out something but I try to stay at 60-70 ft or less. We do alot of photography and the shallows seem better:)

All cylinders require valves to be removed if checked on a plane. I am not sure about being mailed. A pony bottle should not be necessary if proper gas planning is used. [sm]Just my opinion.[/sm]
For what you are looking to use it for, a 19cf would be perfect.

if you only dive in the Caribbean, then a 13 cu ft will suffice. Easy to travel with and is great for a bailout. I use one for cold water with an AGA mask. Get an x bracket or a bag from xs scuba for mounting it to a tank. Use whatever reg system you like. I use Apeks for all my regs. I used an Aqualung conshelf for years. Cheap and efficient system.

How is the 19 to travel with?

I got AL19 specifically for travel. It fits in a carry-on and is sufficient capacity. I also sling it and it makes traveling easier and also attaching to a diver/gear easier than brackets.

Buy AL19 with pro valve (din/yoke capable).

If you're using it for travel, I would suggest not tank mounting; I'd sling it like a stage bottle. I'd do that regardless, but for travel it's especially convenient. The 13 is definitely "better" for travel in that it's a little smaller, but how much better is debatable. The 19 is about 6" longer, weighs about 2 lbs more. The 13 is like 500 PSI in a AL80, so it;s not as much reserve, but for most people in OW, it's still significant. I bought a 13 for use in the Flower Gardens, but I only chose that because it was a good deal on a used one; if the same deal had come up with a 19, I'd have that.

It is a good exercise to try to understand exactly what the bottle is for, including thinking of other solutions to problems that you're currently thinking the pony will solve. Since I just bought one I'm in the same boat as you (so to speak!).

Here is a different opinion.

The OP's target is a warm water photographer. Slinging is not likely to be a good match. He will probably want to back mount to keep it out of the way. A remora bracket or similar threads onto the cam bands in under a minute. If he is never going to exceed 100', the 13 is fine and travels better. Otherwise, the 19cu ft is a safer bet if he might go deeper and you don't need to insure it is always topped off.

Added: My assumption on a 13 cu ft bottle for depths up to 100' is based on the bottle for an immediate ascent, 1 minute max to work things out and up at 30' per minute with a 3 min safety stop, breathing at an SAC of .8 cu ft a minute. If the diver is not comfortable with this, then go bigger.

There is not really much difference between the small tanks in terms of manufactures. All you need for a pony is a reliable and simple regulator. Again, if he is ONLY a warm water diver, then a unbalanced piston, entry level regulator is fine. An idea though before buying one is a pony is often a good place to use one of your old regulator if he wants to upgrade to a better primary setup. Just a thought.

Here is a different opinion.

The OP's target is a warm water photographer. Slinging is not likely to be a good match. He will probably want to back mount to keep it out of the way. A remora bracket or similar threads onto the cam bands in under a minute. If he is never going to exceed 100', the 13 is fine and travels better. Otherwise, the 19cu ft is a safer bet if he might go deeper and you don't need to insure it is always topped off.

There is not really much difference between the small tanks in terms of manufactures. All you need for a pony is a reliable and simple regulator. Again, if he is ONLY a warm water diver, then a unbalanced piston, entry level regulator is fine. An idea though before buying one is a pony is often a good place to use one of your old regulator if he wants to upgrade to a better primary setup. Just a thought.

Exactly what I would say and I dive with a pony for every dive 60 ft or deeper. Also, the diver should remove his octopus and use it as the pony second stage, since 3 second stages creates more of a problem than it helps.

Exactly what I would say and I dive with a pony for every dive 60 ft or deeper. Also, the diver should remove his octopus and use it as the pony second stage, since 3 second stages creates more of a problem than it helps.

I think we have set a record on SB, 2 divers with the same opinion.:D

Why do you feel he needs a pony? The dives you note are about as easy as they get.

A pony is pointless for what you describe and only going to add confusion.

I agree that if he stays above 60 feet then its not really necessary but I know my husband...he'll go further if there's is something big or special he sights. With me not being with him on every afternoon dive, it makes me feel better and its just safer. Once I get my ear problems resolved I'll be back doing our 4 dives a day but for now I just do 2 a day and occassionally I go out for one afternoon dive.

Our whole goal with diving is safety, I still do a safety stop even when not necessary..it doesn't hurt and I'm still in the water:) We LOVE diving and hope to do it for many more years.

I am going to our LDS to check out the 13 and 19 tanks just to compare. If we can travel with the 19 easily, I'll opt for that. My other thought is to see if we can just leave the pony behind at the dive shop after our next trip then we don't have to worry about packing it. Also, good advice about using the old regulator! I didn't think of it as he does want a new regulator so maybe we can use his old one for that:)

Again, thanks to EVERYONE for the great ideas and suggestions! I knew this was the place to come!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom