Pony Bottle Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once again, I was responding to a particular post within the thread. The post in question was not made by the OP. Reading the content of the entire thread would have helped you here.

The person I was responding to created a laundry list of reasons to carry a pony. That list included many I consider absurd but the one I took the most notice of was when he stated that a pony might be useful in the case of a diver FORGETTING to monitor their primary gas source and run out of air.

Perhaps I am arrogant for thinking that divers should keep track of their back gas.

Perhaps I am arrogant for pointing this out to you.

Perhaps you know of a way of diving safely that allows a pony to make up for poor choices and asinine gas management.

Perhaps.

But I don't think so. Stop being willfully obtuse. Get back to me when you have read the entire thread and fully understand what is being discussed here.

The day you observe me "bitch slapped" in a Scubaboard thread is the day I hand you the keys to my garage and ask you to haul away all my gear.

As far as your interest in a Spare Air? Keep it to yourself. That device is not worth a mention in a true diver discussion.

Dive safe and smart.

Dr Wu

Why do I bother? :shakehead:

Her questions were answered. She stated so earlier and thanked all for the responses.

The conversation continued and I took issue with some of the points being offered.

Others returned opinions and engaged in discussion. Every message was relevant to the original question.

The only person cluttering up the thread is you.

Stop doing that.

Please return the Scubaboard hall monitor arm band to the office as soon as possible. There are other BizzyBodies waiting to wear it.

Dear Dr. Wu,

I am sorry that your guilty conscience has condemned you - I mentioned no individuals in my Guys - your egos are getting in the way post, but clearly you have self-identified as such - good for you! Being honest with yourself is the first step!

I do not share your view that all messages were relevant to the original question. To wit, the OP inquired about what size pony would be appropriate. I find it hard to reconcile such a question with the following quotation:

I don’t think encouraging a diver to strap on a pony and shut off his brain is appropriate.

Apparently you feel differently.

I could go on with examples and rhetoric, but I leave that to you. Not wanting to "clutter up the thread" I look forward to your erudite responses (plural - I am sure that we will continue to hear much from you).

Your reference to hallway monitors was perplexing - was school tough for you? I did not wish to be a bully, I simply "called the question" wrt the OP.

BTW, "BizzyBodies" is spelled "busy-bodies."

Dear Dr. Wu,

I am sorry that your guilty conscience has condemned you - I mentioned no individuals in my Guys - your egos are getting in the way post, but clearly you have self-identified as such - good for you! Being honest with yourself is the first step!

I do not share your view that all messages were relevant to the original question. To wit, the OP inquired about what size pony would be appropriate. I find it hard to reconcile such a question with the following quotation:

I could go on with examples and rhetoric, but I leave that to you. Not wanting to "clutter up the thread" I look forward to your erudite responses (plural - I am sure that we will continue to hear much from you).

Your reference to hallway monitors was perplexing - was school tough for you? I did not wish to be a bully, I simply "called the question" wrt the OP.

BTW, "BizzyBodies" is spelled "busy-bodies."

"BizzyBodies" is a place that encourages children to explore the world.

Here is a link: Bizzy Bodies | Offering an active play experience for children aged 1 to 12 years | kids, fun, party, entertainment, birthday, exercise, indoor, playcentre, activities

They provide a place where kids can jump and climb while under adult supervision.

As you rudely intruded on a conversation being held by adults I naturally assumed you were a member and looking for a place to play with other children.

Perhaps I was wrong?

Please check out the link. They specialize in allowing juvenile behavior to run loose while freeing the adults to maintain grown-up conversations.

IF you decided to join the conversation at hand I would again ask you to read the entire thread. My quote you noted was not in response to the OP's question. It was in response to another diver that had opinions of his own regarding the subject. I provided a retort. The text continued between us.

Please understand there is always a give and take when grown-ups are speaking. While the basic topic is always paramount the details often diverge for a bit.

Lastly, Things would go better for you if you took the time to spell words correctly.

The person I was responding to created a laundry list of reasons to carry a pony. That list included many I consider absurd but the one I took the most notice of was when he stated that a pony might be useful in the case of a diver FORGETTING to monitor their primary gas source and run out of air.

Perhaps I am arrogant for thinking that divers should keep track of their back gas.

Perhaps I am arrogant for pointing this out to you.

Perhaps you know of a way of diving safely that allows a pony to make up for poor choices and asinine gas management.

Dude, tell that to that boy who is now quadriplegic because he forgot to monitor his gas spearfishing near Spiegel Grove and pretty much run out of it. Sure he should have monitored his gas, sure he had asinine gas management. But he didn't as he was having fun spearfishing with his twin brother. Regardless of what you think if in reality he had pony bottle he would be in a better shape today.

In theory we agree with you but in practice there is a value for divers to have pony bottles. I was never close to running out of air but I carry an AL19 on all my deep dives. I am paranoid by profession (worked years in security business where paranoia is what keeps you secure - exaggerating a bit but hey).

Each diver needs to make their own assessment and if OP's husband sometimes stays alone under water photographing then having a pony bottle is a prudent thing to do above and beyond monitoring their gas supply.

How is the 19 to travel with? We only dive in the Caribbean. I think it's between the 19 and 13 depending on which is better to travel with.

They are both equally a pain in the @ss to travel with, so if you're going to get one - which is a fine idea - don't use potential travel hassle as a reason to choose the smaller one.

Seriously.

:cool2:

They are both equally a pain in the @ss to travel with, so if you're going to get one - which is a fine idea - don't use potential travel hassle as a reason to choose the smaller one.

Seriously.

:cool2:

Yup! I travel with AL19 and never had any problems. I use the plastic cover (one you screw in that has membrane to protect against dirt but allows pressure equalization) and it made it around the world just fine on several airlines (US Airways, Asiana, Air China, Thai Airlines, and Lufthansa).

Why do I bother? :shakehead:

I am giving up too, mattboy. Someone has issues (arrogance). I hope the OP doesn't think that SB will be so unhelpful to her in the future.

I once had my HP hose blow out on me. I hadn't yet descended when it happened, but it sure made me appreciate the value of a redundant air source. I had recently done a dive to 120' using that same hose and had that happened at that depth I can only imagine that it would have been a very scary situation, especially without a pony. Since the leak was by the first stage I suppose there might have even been the possibility that I wouldn't have even noticed until my tank was empty. I kind of doubt that though as it made a hell of a racket on the surface.

I once had my HP hose blow out on me. I hadn't yet descended when it happened, but it sure made me appreciate the value of a redundant air source. I had recently done a dive to 120' using that same hose and had that happened at that depth I can only imagine that it would have been a very scary situation, especially without a pony. Since the leak was by the first stage I suppose there might have even been the possibility that I wouldn't have even noticed until my tank was empty. I kind of doubt that though as it made a hell of a racket on the surface.

HP leaks downstream of the reg (hose, spg spindle etc) don't vent much volume, there's an orifice in the reg which limits how much gas can get out. If you were reserving enough gas for you and a buddy to ascend anyway (~45cf) you could have made a reasonable ascent without running out of gas and without a pony bottle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom