Pony Bottle for NJ Boat Diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andyman2234

Reaction score
I am a new diver with only about 10 dives. I was in my LDS yesterday and was told that I am required to have at least a pony bottle setup to get only any dive boat in NJ. Is this true?

Like I mentioned I am new to this posting so please don't rip me a new one.

Drew

andyman2234:
I am a new diver with only about 10 dives. I was in my LDS yesterday and was told that I am required to have at least a pony bottle setup to get only any dive boat in NJ. Is this true?

Drew

Yes,

Most boats in NY and NJ REQUIRE a redundant gas source whether it be a pony bottle or a set of doubles...
There are some exceptions, those being some shallow dives and some dives with an instructor..

Thanks padiscubapro

I am getting ready to buy my first setup and I just wanted to make sure that I have a good understanding of what gear I might need in the near future.

By the way, welcome to the board Drew. Pretty helpful place to be aye?

andyman2234:

Drew
Welcome aboard Andyman,
A redundant air source is required on most dives and is a good idea just for the safety factor alone. Pony bottles are the most common and least expensive way to go. Many of the divers are diving independant double steel tanks that work very well for the diving in this area but are more expensive. Swing bottles are also become popular and they work well, but I don't favor these for boat diving in this area because of the size and placement of them if you are new to diving. I require a redundant air source on all dives aboard the Pirate King II. I know Eric at LBI Scuba rents pony bottle set ups if you don't have one and want to try it before you buy it.
Capt Rob

Howdy Hey~ I'm an escapee from NJ myself, got out of the Navy & hung around a little too long. I liked the diving there though.
You may want to rent for a while first, 'till you figure out which way of rigging works out best for you. I always went with the valve down, easier to clear the crap off the valves & reg.
Or... you could just avoid crawling around in the weeds. :wink:

Does a "Spare Air" fit the bill for this or is a "real" pony bottle reqired?

It really isn't enough air to bail you out of anything safely. I highly doubt that it will be acceptable. You can get a decent bottle used for stupid cheap. I ended up paying less than 250 bucks for a used bottle with new valve and brand new first and second stages. Then I slung it myself instead of buying a 20 dollar sling.

Zed:
Does a "Spare Air" fit the bill for this or is a "real" pony bottle reqired?

I dont know of any NJ or NY boat that would count a spare air as a redundant gas source...

about the smallest you will get away with is a 13cf (shalllow stuff).. I would recommend at the absolute minimum a 19cf with a 30cf highly recommended for the deeper stuff..

Rember in most cases a free ascent is not an option.. Our boats are anchored into a site (frequently CHAINED) into a site.. the boat can not easily move to get a diver and we usually have currents, SO you have to be able to get back to the ascent/descent point (anchor line) and use that to get back to the boat.. Thats why you need an alternate source f reasonable volume, swimming to the surface in a free ascent means a you will floating on the surface untill all other divers are on board b) get a mate in the water to free a boat, and C) you will be buying beer for everyone on board

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom