Poachers at Punta Sur

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sad to hear that but as always a great op to dive with! :D

It's their country. How they choose to police the park and to what extent is up to them.
Rich
The seas are actually connected... shark finning etc is a global problem. And in places like this which depends heavily on tourism, foreigners could have big impact on how they police it if they got concerned people would go elsewhere if they didn't do more about it.

I don't have David's email, so I will send them to Memo - I'm sure he can pass them on .

Eh, I love Memo, but if you send them to him, David will probably never see them! I'll send David the link... with your compliments, of course. :cool2: When are you headed back to CZM?

Eh, I love Memo, but if you send them to him, David will probably never see them! I'll send David the link... with your compliments, of course. :cool2: When are you headed back to CZM?

That's great. Tell him they're from Don from Texas (not the "Dandy" one though!). We go to Cozumel at least twice a year during "low" seasons in April - May and October - November. Hate the crowds.

Will do. Hmmm... maybe we'll catch each other there after I retire. Right now I am locked in to those high times. April visits are during spring break, Nov during T'giving. Grrr...
Was the camera-wielding nice-guy Glenn a tall older guy with sandy hair? He's a regular who lost a camera in July. Felt awful for him!

Thanks for sharing the sharks. Sad to know they're still being pulled out of the park. Hope they aren't the puppies we've watched grow over the past 2-3 years.
Brought a spear up off Maracaibo last summer. It hadn't been there long at all. *sigh*

So Aldora's doing SI at Money Bar now?

I would really appreciate any and all pictures you might have as this news should best propagate in Cozumel locally. Pictures for the press and for the national park administration would serve a purpose. Last summer the national park patrol also found a long line and released sharks still alive on hooks; they took pictures and got good press for it.

The park needs to know the fishermen are still atit, and the press needs to know, and the Navy, that is regularly patroling looking for other things, should they see a buoy, they should have instructions to either remove the longline or advise the national park.

We could use any pictures you might provide to work against this locally. If you are unable to upload them here, please send them to bill@aquasafari.com and I will gladly send them on to the park, the press, and the navy.

Correct, I couldn't have said it better. I was wrong......

Are you trying with imageshack.com? Can I help?

Ah found your email. Glad to help. They may have been much larger before you mailed, as embedding often reduces pics, but they were still all over 1 Mb each still as received - too large to be attached here. I reduced them to less than 400 Kb each.

Very sad pics, but thanks for allowing me to assist...

Attachments

• 000_Davidwsharks md.jpg
    000_Davidwsharks md.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 001_Donwshark2 md.jpg
    001_Donwshark2 md.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 002_Donwshark md.jpg
    002_Donwshark md.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/