Please tell me where to go. er stay.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billtodive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My non-diving spouse and I will make our first trip to Hawaii in early Dec.staying 5-10 days. Beach for her, Diving for me. Staying where I can shore dive would be ideal.
(Can't leave the little shopper alone too long).
If any beachside condo's or resorts would fit the shore-diving thing, even better.
I live a thousand miles from the ocean, I'm pretty easy to please for diving.
Any SB outings would make it perfect. Asking too much? they told me it was heaven, :D
PS. she prefers around 4 stars, 1 will do me. Which 3/4 star do you suggest?
BTW, I'm the handsome one in the picture. deductible dive buddies center and right.

Do you have an island picked out yet?

I'm un-decided and wide open. Flying into Honolulu; but it sounds like a RT flight to any of the islands for a week is do-able even for a workin' man. I've been searching SB and other places, but putting the two together just leaves me with more questions. Beach, diving, fun people. anything else is gravy

From what Im getting from you Im gonna have to vote for Kehei Maui. If you prefer, there are many condos available as well as hotels. COndos are nice becouse you can make some of your own food. Most are right on or very near the beach and there are some decent shore dives there too.
Don't miss the Maui Ocean center and think about doing the shark dive, way cool! The bike ride down the moutain is just silly IMHO but the road to Hana is well worth driving.
I like the Big Isle more but it is more spread out. Better shore diving but you have to drive to most of it.
Oahu just sucks.

I'd go Maui as well, but recommend just North of the Kaanapali area - Hyatt is putting in several new resorts next to Airport beach that gives you nice beach areas for diving/snorkeling/sitting/bbqing etc as well as a dozen nice dive sites within 2 miles.

Or look in the Kahana/Napili area, diving isn't quite as good right off shore, but you are really close to some good sites.

Personally I prefer Lahaina diving to Kihei, that's why I recommend up north - I think our conditions immediately off-shore tend to be calmer/clearer than down south ...

Aloha, Tim

Also don't forget to check out shorediving.com
If you can, do the back wall of molokini too, awsome dive! The crater is over rated but the back wall is world class....

Early December is the middle of the Triple Crown of Surfing, so expect good size swells out of the North to Northwest. Northwest swells mess up much of Maui's shore diving (Oahu same to worse). Most dive sites react differently depending on angle and size of swell, making predicting which dive sites will be best very tenuous.

Whichever side of Maui you choose (West or South) boat diving or driving to shore sites might be neccessary (due to swell). If on West Side, Lanai is the boat diving, minimum 45 minute possibly rough channel crossings required, and shore dive sites might be all the way down in Makena (South). If on South Side, Molokini is only 17 minutes from the ramp so your done by 10:30AM and Makena is even closer.

The West Side has more night life and dinning options but the surf contest (Dec 8 - 20) will congest the limited roads. The South Side is more expensive but has much better roads. Whale sharks are seen at Molokini occassionally (Nov. ?). There may be a 3 tank Lanai trip with 3rd tank south of Lahaina at Manta Way. Manta Way is also possible with a few of the Kihei Opp's on a very limited basis, but might not be done until mid winter.

South Oahu is known for it's wreck diving, they are usually good that time of year and if you wanted to brave the traffic the surf contests are entertaining to some. There's lots of people on Oahu so It's not paradise to many, but the entertainment and dinning options are impressive.

My Big Island (Kona) diving was all from boat, late November '04. There were Northwest swells, but lack of soil means visibility stays good near shore (youngest island). Strong swell for my night manta dive tossed and tumbled those not holding tight to the rocks, but it was one of my most thrilling dives ever. Need to go back for the 3-tank Au Au Crater trip. Day trip to the Volcano is a long day, would stay at Volcano House next time.

I would only dive Kauai in summer (Tunnels / Ni'ihau), but there is plenty of winter diving in the Poipu area (South), as well as shorefront accomodations. Kauai is a much quieter Island with magnificent physical beauty (Waimea Canyon / Napali Coast - lots of trails) and great golf.

The Hawaiian Islands are rarely a dive only vacation and I suggest keeping non-diving interests in the mix. Mother Nature does occasionally put the kibosh on diving.

Back
Top Bottom