Please recommend a dive operator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Christi,

My comments had absoultuely nothing specific directed at your operation. There are many good, competitive operators in the very intense enviromment in which you work, In fact, I'm sure noncompetitive operators go down frequently. If I'm lucky enough to have the opportunity to return to Cozumel, I'm confident that booking with your operation would be a good choice. It's difficult to be in such competitive environment, on the other hand, it's wonderful for divers to have a choice of highly competent operators. I'm sorry my post made you feel defensive of your own practices.

Good diving, Craig

So we are just posting emoticons now?
I tried to think of a polite response to his rude post but couldn't. Christi's was wonderful. :thumb:

Sorry, I was just trying to determine if Dandy's very sad face was a reponse to my straightforward question regarding Cozumel dive operators. To me, appears some individuals have an excessive amount of personal investment in this topic. My interests are much broader.

Good diving, Craig
Your post was condescending and narrow minded. I'm sure that Aldora is a wonderful Op, but the gentleman gave his preferences and there is no need to insult those.

Hi Christi,

My comments had absoultuely nothing specific directed at your operation. There are many good, competitive operators in the very intense enviromment in which you work, In fact, I'm sure noncompetitive operators go down frequently. If I'm lucky enough to have the opportunity to return to Cozumel, I'm confident that booking with your operation would be a good choice. It's difficult to be in such competitive environment, on the other hand, it's wonderful for divers to have a choice of highly competent operators. I'm sorry my post made you feel defensive of your own practices.

Good diving, Craig

No, you did not insult Christi's dive op directly but you did call all others besides Aldora "mediocre." I'd be insulted if I were Christi or any other owner that strives to run a professional dive op offering a safe, enjoyable diving experience.

I'll give you credit for the apology though.

Aqua Safari? downtown, fast boat, easy going folks, contact Donna.

No, you did not insult Christi's dive op directly but you did call all others besides Aldora "mediocre." I'd be insulted if I were Christi or any other owner that strives to run a professional dive op offering a safe, enjoyable diving experience.

I'll give you credit for the apology though.

Thanks, the original post was not meant to be insulting. My direct mechanism of communication may have been misunderstood. One's emotional investmemt in a topic may affect one's perception. I am not very closely tied to this topic but fully understand that many are intimately connected on a daily basis.

Apologetically, Craig

Holy sheet. No mediocre dive ops on Cozumel? Come on guys. Let's keep it real please...

Now while scubadaddys comments may not be on the mark for what the op's reasons were for looking at other dive operators, there is nothing wrong with what he said in regard to comparing Aldora to other operations.

Sorry to burst the bubble but there are other dive operators who are mediocre compared to Aldora. Mediocre compared to many other dive operators not just Aldora, you could substitute Aldora for BlueXTSea or the half dozen others listed as recommendations.

Here's a review recently posted about a dive operator in Cozumel, what's your rating for this dive operator based on the description?

1) Excellent
2) Average
3) Poor

Recent dive with Sand Dollar

The "dive briefing" for the first dive consisted of one of the DMs explaining repeatedly that the dive was 70' maximum and that exceeding that would mean that you sat out the next dive, along with the various rules about not touching anything, and an explanation of the DM sending up an SMB at the end of the dive. The other important point was to signal when we hit 1000PSI. So far, so good. Nothing about the actual dive or the dive site, though. Several divers mentioned that they would be unable to equalize quickly and were assured by the DM that this was no problem, and they should just descend as fast as they could and stay above the DM if necessary.

The dives were all calculated as a square profile with tables, even though everybody appeared to have a computer.

No mention was made that most the stuff above 70' was in terrible shape, or that the current was ripping, or that it varies in strength and sometimes direction by depth, and that given the current, "staying above the DM" would be more of a random occurrence than an intentional choice.

We all splashed in and the DM said "follow me" and immediately descended, moving off towards the wall, leaving his pod of divers who had not descended as quickly, in the distance. He repeatedly signalled for the divers to catch up, but there was little chance of doing that given the current. My buddy and I were fining our butts off trying to catch up, then after a significant amount of wasted effort, signalled "you're #1" to the DM, and decided he could wait for us or not, but that we were done chasing. The DM slowed up and waited for the group.

We then flew over a beat-up section of the top of the wall with little live coral and not many fish. He would frequently bang on his tank and point at something off in the distance, which was amazingly annoying, since I associate tank banging as a problem signal. After about a half hour we surfaced for pickup, although I don't know if someone was low on air or the DM just decided to end the dive.

The next dive was a shallow reef (Paradise), and was quite nice although also very short (maybe 40 minutes). I came back with more than half a tank.

Given the reef, water conditions and variations in diver skills, I have no idea what the purpose of the first dive was, other than to quickly burn off a tank in an area that couldn't be damaged. The second dive should have been much longer and appears to have been cut short for the convenience of the company or staff. Given the conditions, both dives should have been @ Paradise or somewhere similar.

I don't consider any of this to be "an incident" just an annoyance; however I can also see where the combination of random diver qualifications, DM impatience and poor dive site selection on the part of dive operators can easily contribute to an increased rate of medical problems and "lost" divers. It wouldn't have surprised me in the least to find that someone had a heart-attack while trying to catch up to the DM, or that someone would run out of air and/or panic given the stress of the situation.

Hi ronscuba,

Very sorry but I'm having tremendous trouble understandiing your request. You no longer require the services of one of the finest operators on Cozumel and would like to downgrade to a more mediocre operator with shorter dive times, less select sites, and less experienced DMs. Best of luck to you. I'm sure there are many operators that would fit your criteria.

Good diving, Craig
Hello craig. I dont want to repeat myself. I think if you read my posts in this thread you will understand why i want to try a different operator for this trip.

Holy sheet. No mediocre dive ops on Cozumel? Come on guys. Let's keep it real please...

Now while scubadaddys comments may not be on the mark for what the op's reasons were for looking at other dive operators, there is nothing wrong with what he said in regard to comparing Aldora to other operations.

Sorry to burst the bubble but there are other dive operators who are mediocre compared to Aldora. Mediocre compared to many other dive operators not just Aldora, you could substitute Aldora for BlueXTSea or the half dozen others listed as recommendations.

Here's a review recently posted about a dive operator in Cozumel, what's your rating for this dive operator based on the description?

1) Excellent
2) Average
3) Poor
You are debating a non-existent [-]acquirement[/-] argument. Sure there are some mediocre Ops and sure Aldora is one of the tops. Blah blah - no one disagreed with all that.

The gentleman explained his preferences, and Scubadada was condescending and insulting about his choices.

I like red headed women. Want to insult my tastes too...??

Last edited:
I've yet been able to dive up north to see the spotted rays. Stunning and what a great photo!

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2013 at 08:55 AM ----------

GREAT video. Thanks for sharing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom