Please recommend a dive operator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been to Cozumel many times, but that was a while ago and what I'm now looking for in an operator has changed. Plus I believe there has been some additions and closings of dive shops in the past few years.

I used to dive with Aldora, but I no longer need all the extra's they provide.

Will be diving with my wife. We don't want the larger tanks, the advanced sites or the 80 minute bottom times. I've already been to most of the popular sites. My wife is a competent diver but has no desire to do Devil's Throat, Maracaibo, or any of the dives that attract the advanced diver crowd.

I would like:
pickup/drop off from downtown pier
6 pack fast boat
computer diving with 60 minute bottom times
surface intervals on shore with bathrooms and food
gear storage

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Blue XTSea may work

There are several Dive ops that would fit your wish list. Blue XT Sea was my first thought. However, I also recommend to check out recent trip reviews and then make a short list of 3-5 dive ops that appeal to you. Start at the top of your list and email your dive requirements. Once you find the best match you will be good to go. Have a wonderful dive trip !

Hey Ron,
Yes, Christi at BlueXTsea is probably what you want. Especially if you are staying at a resort, she can pick you up at the pier.

I still think you would like SCC, boats don't stop for surface interval anywhere because they ALL have heads.. They also all have camera tables and shade, and big enough to walk around on. NOT fast boats, but on Cozumel time, no need to rush. The food is waiting for you when boats return, so no need to hurry anyhow. I think their DMs are the best we have dealt with on the island, too. You can ask to be put on one of the smaller boats, if you want, but they aren't that much faster.
check out my photos from our last 2 trips -- http://www.rnrscuba.net/2012_Cozumel/2012_ScubaClubCozumel.html
Cozumel - April 2010

If you don't need a tv in your room, and like being walking distance to town, it is a great option. We also love the staff there, very nice little Bed & Breakfast atmosphere, and food is good to great.

Hi Robin.

Looks like BlueXTsea is a big favorite so far. I do recall them and a few others as being very popular on SB. Just not sure which others do downtown pickups and SI on a beach.

Not sure SCC is for us. I do like the "dive camp" style. Similar to Cocoview in Roatan. However, in Cozumel, I enjoy eating, spending time and having my hotel in town.

Ron, I do not know why you rule out Aldora. Just use a steel 100 or 80. Tell them that you do not want to go to Devil's Throat, Barracuda, etc.

If they are still out, see if Liquid Blue and Living Underwater meet your needs.

Ron, I do not know why you rule out Aldora. Just use a steel 100 or 80. Tell them that you do not want to go to Devil's Throat, Barracuda, etc.

If they are still out, see if Liquid Blue and Living Underwater meet your needs.

I have dove with Aldora and Living Underwater. Both great dive operators for people wanting larger tanks and longer bottom times. In my experience, Aldora also attracted the more advanced diver crowd. All great features in exchange for a little higher pricing. If I were diving by myself, I would go with Aldora. Since I am diving with my wife and we don't need or want these extra features, it does not make much sense to pay the Aldora premium.

Another vote for BlueXTSea. They tick off everything on your list plus you get to dive with DM Pedro. He's very knowledgeable, personable and likes to go slow to really take in the reef and all there is to see. He's also very safety minded and keeps a close eye on everybody without being a babysitter. Nivo is the captain and he's always close by when I surface. Give them a shot and I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Another vote for BlueXT Sea when taking into account what you are looking for. Almost every dive I have been on have been right around an hour or just a bit longer on shallower dives. As mentioned above Pedro rocks as well, I will be diving with them again in just 2 short weeks.

Is this a loaded statement from the OP? "I used to dive with Aldora, but I no longer need all the extra's they provide."

I hate to say this begs the question for the curious among us of what "extras" Aldora provides that Blue XTSea doesn't? Those furry boat coats? Blue XTSea has larger tanks available (not standard), and they don't limit your bottom time. I am curious what the story is with Aldora, as I've heard nothing but great things about them, just as I have about Blue XTSea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom