Please recommend a dive operator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe on scubaboard, and maybe that has a lot to do with the amount of activity both of them maintain on scubaboard. If you look at tripadvisor Aldora doesn't even make the list of top 10 dive operators.

And you obtain your scuba operator information from tripadvisor?

You will find plenty of excellent diving advice on TA.

Pedro is the best DM I've had the luck to dive with. He took pains to help with equipment issues. He is very claim and patient. He knows the reefs and points out all kinds of interesting g stuff. He also does not seem to need to breath under water. I have never seen someone use less air. Blue XT Sea - you can't go wrong.

Actually when I am going to travel to a new dive destination how I decide who I dive with usually goes like this

#1 I typically choose my resort before dive op, if the resort has a dive op and you really don't have a choice in another - think LCBR or Plaza Resort in Bonaire... then I'm diving with the house op as long as I don't find out they are baby killers or something just totally unacceptable. Deals done, will be diving with the resort op, if the house op is just a dog then that will probably effect the choice of the resort.

#2 If it's not a combo situation, then it's time to find the dive operator.

Step one is I'll do a search on google to find out what dive ops come up at the destination. This could be a short list or a huge list, depends where you go. I'll spend some time on their websites getting a feel for them and what they offer, what type of divers they typically cater to... see if location is a factor and other crriteria

Next I'll type into google the dive op's name followed by "reviews" and read what comes up, so I could end up trip advisor, or yelp or any place where reviews show up...

Next I'll type in the ops name in the scubaboard search and see what comes up and read about them

By this time I've got a pretty good idea who I might dive with and definitely know who I'm not diving with. By now it's probably a short list of 2 or maybe 3 ops at the most, but I'm probably already down to a first choice.

Now I might ask a few very specific questions about my first choice dive op on scubaboard, maybe exchange a few PM with a couple of select people...

Notice one thing I won't ever do is say "I'm going to XYZ, who should I dive with?" That's just a total waste of time in my opinion, you get is cheerleading, propositions from dive operators, or recommendations with ulterior motives such as steering you to their buddies and a few honest to goodness good recommendations.

Finally, I usually try not to pre-book my first choice dive operator unless I absolutely have to.

I'm going to contact them before I get there via email and discuss questions and details, availability and then the best case scenario is I like to arrive at the destination and then go casually visit my 1st choice on my short list of 2 dive ops, which consists of my first choice and a back up. Over the years, I've come to know what questions to ask, what to look around for and casually make conversation about, I'm now looking to verify that I've made the right choice or verify I've not. If the vibe is good and no red flags appear and all is good, I'm done. I'm not going to shop them for price or negotiate, at that point I'm going to book some dives and away we go. Price shopping never enters the equation in any of this, a great dive operation is always worth just about whatever they want to charge. I have yet to ever find a single dive operator that charged too much for their services. You always get what you pay for with dive operators.

Last edited:
I've yet been able to dive up north to see the spotted rays. Stunning and what a great photo!

Well, get back down here Steve, and let's go!

Actually when I am going to travel to a new dive destination how I decide who I dive with usually goes like this

#1 I typically choose my resort before dive op, if the resort has a dive op and you really don't have a choice in another - think LCBR or Plaza Resort in Bonaire... then I'm diving with the house op as long as I don't find out they are baby killers or something just totally unacceptable. Deals done, will be diving with the resort op, if the house op is just a dog then that will probably effect the choice of the resort.

#2 If it's not a combo situation, then it's time to find the dive operator.

Step one is I'll do a search on google to find out what dive ops come up at the destination. This could be a short list or a huge list, depends where you go. I'll spend some time on their websites getting a feel for them and what they offer, what type of divers they typically cater to... see if location is a factor and other crriteria

Next I'll type into google the dive op's name followed by "reviews" and read what comes up, so I could end up trip advisor, or yelp or any place where reviews show up...

Next I'll type in the ops name in the scubaboard search and see what comes up and read about them

By this time I've got a pretty good idea who I might dive with and definitely know who I'm not diving with. By now it's probably a short list of 2 or maybe 3 ops at the most, but I'm probably already down to a first choice.

Now I might ask a few very specific questions about my first choice dive op on scubaboard, maybe exchange a few PM with a couple of select people...

Notice one thing I won't ever do is say "I'm going to XYZ, who should I dive with?" That's just a total waste of time in my opinion, all you get is cheerleading, propositions from dive operators, or recommendations with ulterior motives such as steering you to their buddies.

Finally, I usually rarely will pre-book my dive op unless I absolutely have to.

I will contact them before I get there via email and discuss questions and details, availability and then the best case scenario is I like to arrive at the destination and go casually visit my 1st choice on my short list of 2 dive ops, which consists of my first choice and a back up. I know what questions to ask, what to look around for and casually make conversation about, either to verify that I've made the right choice or verify I've not. If the vibe is good and no red flags appear and all is good, I'm done. I'm not going to shop them for price or negotiate, at that point I'm going to book some dives and away we go. Price shopping never enters the equation in any of this, a great dive operation is always worth just about whatever they want to charge. I have yet to ever find a single dive operator that charged too much for their services. You always get what you pay for with dive operators.

Hi Mike,

I had a feeling you did far more than go to tripadvisor, I do too. It pays off every time and I have a long list of great operators to use and recommend.

Good diving, Craig

Movers get here Thursday...I'm packing my butt off right now. Gonna toss the house off to a property management company, sell the rest and hop on a plane. I'm hoping by the first of March.

I never got to see the throat before Wilma so don't know if it has changed any. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on all of Cozumel after you dive it. I'm wondering if it is anywhere near what it once was.

This is a video I shot in December. The Devil's Throat on Vimeo. I had heard that the throat part was covered in red, and that's how it got its name. That's hard to believe since there isn't any red on it at all now.

Nice video. Looks the same as when I dove it pre-hurricane. Maybe people were talking about the entry ? Has anyone here dove Devil's Throat before and after the hurricane ?

Nice video. Looks the same as when I dove it pre-hurricane. Maybe people were talking about the entry ? Has anyone here dove Devil's Throat before and after the hurricane ?

Are you guys talking about Cathedral with the red sponges in the shape of a cross that isn't there anymore?

Are you guys talking about Cathedral with the red sponges in the shape of a cross that isn't there anymore?

My recollection is that it was a yellow sponge. The cross sponge was just north of the Devil's Throat lower exit if my memory is correct. I prefer not doing that dive if I can avoid it.

Back
Top Bottom