Please recommend a dive operator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the recommendation Sue. Looks like a nice place. Quiet, but still in town for convenience.

I usually stay at Suites Bahia when I want a basic place in town. With my wife coming, I want a little nicer and we are looking at Casa Mexicana.

Has Cozumel changed much in the last 7 years ?

:lol:

Yeah, but you'll still enjoy it. Compare the new to the memories...

I hear devils throat is more like cavern now.

I never got to see the throat before Wilma so don't know if it has changed any. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on all of Cozumel after you dive it. I'm wondering if it is anywhere near what it once was.

This is a video I shot in December. The Devil's Throat on Vimeo. I had heard that the throat part was covered in red, and that's how it got its name. That's hard to believe since there isn't any red on it at all now.

I've been to Cozumel many times, but that was a while ago and what I'm now looking for in an operator has changed. Plus I believe there has been some additions and closings of dive shops in the past few years.

I used to dive with Aldora, but I no longer need all the extra's they provide.

Will be diving with my wife. We don't want the larger tanks, the advanced sites or the 80 minute bottom times. I've already been to most of the popular sites. My wife is a competent diver but has no desire to do Devil's Throat, Maracaibo, or any of the dives that attract the advanced diver crowd.

I would like:
pickup/drop off from downtown pier
6 pack fast boat
computer diving with 60 minute bottom times
surface intervals on shore with bathrooms and food
gear storage

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Hi ronscuba,

Very sorry but I'm having tremendous trouble understandiing your request. You no longer require the services of one of the finest operators on Cozumel and would like to downgrade to a more mediocre operator with shorter dive times, less select sites, and less experienced DMs. Best of luck to you. I'm sure there are many operators that would fit your criteria.

Good diving, Craig

:shakehead:

So we are just posting emoticons now?

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2013 at 06:10 PM ----------

Were the swallow imprints in the street when you were last there?

What about the nicer/wider sidewalks (still not wide enough)?

McDonalds is gone or moved south.

Mega is probably new (across from the Barracuda).

New road around much of the island.

Probably more stinkin' jewelry stores.

The ferries alternate trips instead of both going at the same times.

Overall, stuff changes.

Sorry, I was just trying to determine if Dandy's very sad face was a reponse to my straightforward question regarding Cozumel dive operators. To me, appears some individuals have an excessive amount of personal investment in this topic. My interests are much broader.

Good diving, Craig

Hi ronscuba,

Very sorry but I'm having tremendous trouble understandiing your request. You no longer require the services of one of the finest operators on Cozumel and would like to downgrade to a more mediocre operator with shorter dive times, less select sites, and less experienced DMs. Best of luck to you. I'm sure there are many operators that would fit your criteria.

Good diving, Craig

I must reply to this comment. You obviously are not familiar with my operation or our philosophy.

I have some of THE VERY MOST experienced crew on the island. Pedro Pablo has been working with my shop for 9 years and was with the original Blue Bubble for 15 years prior to his employment with me. He is one of the most seasoned professional DM's on the island.

Juan, my main instructor also worked at the original Blue Bubble for 15 +/- years, then worked for Scuba Shack/Blue Bubble for the past 10 or so years and started working on and off for me over the past couple of years - now he is my primary Instructor.

Our dive times average 60 - 70 minutes on AL 80's - the really advanced/experienced divers get up to 80 minutes.

Less select dive sites? We offer all of the same dive sites with the exception of the East side. Dive sites are not pre selected - rather selected each day on the boat as a group. When we have divers that want to dive Maracaibo, Punta Sur, Barracuda, etc. we arrange that however we need to - whether it means splitting boats up or whatever. ANd BTW - we dive these sites regularly when requested and qualified.

We are also one of the few that pick up downtown and also offer the boutique style service with towels, jackets, gear service, and other details and personal touches.

I am the first to cringe when anyone says that ANY shop is THE BEST - even when they are referring to mine. I don't pretend to be able to please everyone or to be the right fit for everyone. I agree that there is a great match for every diver on this island - there is no one best shop that meets the specific needs and desires of every diver - it would be ridiculous to think that even possible.

I agree and always have that Aldora is an EXCELLENT dive shop - no question about it. However, like any other shop - they are not the right fit for every diver out there - as excellent as they may be. Not everyone wants or NEEDS a steel 100 or 120 to enjoy their dives or to get 60+ minute bottom times. Not everyone WANTS to dive longer than an hour, etc.

So please, just as everyone, you are welcome to have your favorite shop and plug them all you wish, but please do not make false blanket statements about all other dive shops regarding facts that you are unfamiliar with.

Please read this in the spirit it was intended :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom