Please please help me choose!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You already have a lot of replys.
Before you buy first try so many as you can.
This is not going to informe you about the quality of the reg's but sometimes you will feel more confortabe some reg. than another.
Don't forget if the mounth device doesn't fit ok you always can change it.
I have bought a MARES Abyss reg with Axis Octo.
This decision was basing on friends experience and this internet site.
One of my consideration was having a COLD WATER regulator.

First define the amount of money you want to spend
Second do you need a cold water regulator or only a warm water regulator.
Third make a selection of regulators regarding firs and second points, try to rent them an try them
( as going not deep you might not feel big difference in brething in those reg's)
I would recommend you MARES Orbiter or Abyss or Apeks ( i would go for tx100), Aqualung Cousteau.

Have a look here : http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=2093

Have owned / worked with many brands and models and now dive only the new APEXS ATX200. Breathes smoothly at any depth (including 230 feet)and condition. It's my all time favorite. One of those things that's worth the extra $$.

Hello,

This "choosing my first reg" would probably be lenghty in discussion so I made a list of some things I would consider:

1. Choose a brand(s) that is being widely sold in your location where you do most of your dives. In this case you wouldnt have any problems in servicing and support. If your planning to dive other locations, might as well do a little research on what regs are available on those locations.
2. Choose the highest performing reg based in no.1 that is within your budget. Do some research on this. You can go to Rodales for unbiased information.
3. If you have a chance to try it before buying it, the better. If you can try out different regs, either by renting or borrowing one, the more you can trim down your choices.
4. Check other stuff like warranties, service turn-arounds,accesories, etc.
5. Repeat this process over til you find what your comfortable with!

Happy diving!

Reading this thread, I find, that the prices in the US for regs must be way over the top.
I use a MK20/S600 as main and MK20/R380 as Octo.
The MK20/S600 sells here on the Canary Islands for about
260$ and if you look around for less. But I got it from a shop more or less next door for service reasons. At those prices there is no reason to go for anything less.
I feel sorry for you at the other side of the pond having to spend so mutch more for one and the same thing. Why do Apex,Scubapro and all the others have these differeces in prices.....makes me think.

Michael

Originally posted by frogman
Hello,

2. Choose the highest performing reg based in no.1 that is within your budget. Do some research on this. You can go to Rodales for unbiased information.

Rodales are certainly not unbiased!

Advertising revenues outweigh objectivity in nearly all their tests.

Beware, everything that you read isn't necesarily what you think it is.

Jon T

Apeks ATX200 after all the regs I have dove since 1963, this IS the best. You'll never out grow it - even if you went tech. It is fully adjustable - no freeflows. Rugged, reliable and comfortable. Good luck and great dives!

Originally posted by turnerjd
Originally posted by frogman
Hello,

Rodales are certainly not unbiased!

Advertising revenues outweigh objectivity in nearly all their tests.

Beware, everything that you read isn't necesarily what you think it is.

Jon T

You hit the nail on the head with this one Jon, I know for a fact that that is true. From a testors mouth no less. Divers whom have been around for a while know this, because it's no secret, but the new people have no clue. It's time we blew the whistle heh!

As much as we would like a unbiased review, the advertising keeps the lights on, and the printers going. Can anyone spell 'catch-22'?

But does Joseph Heller count? And since we are on "Joes", can anybody tell me what Crazy Joe's dilemma was?

Joewr

I'm another Mares V16 Epos diver and happy with the setup. I have a Viper octo, with no free flow problems... wanted a sleeker/ low profile octo. LDS was pawning everything off pretty cheap because they were not carrying the brands anymore. Also heard some decent reviews before finding this forum (after finding this forum I'd probably take a hard look at the Apeks). Don't expect to do a lot of cold water diving, but was happy to find no free flows at the bottom of a quarry... a few of the other folks with Aqaulung Titan rentals experienced this. The Mares setup breathes great at all depths and all angles. I was worried about this since it doesn't have the adjustments found on other regs, which also helps increase the o-ring life during storage.

People on this board give great advice. Put together a short list and find out which LDS carry what brands. As you found, it's difficult to get an honest answer about the "other brands" from them, so why bother? Ask specific questions and try the equipment if possible. LDS patronage will, in most cases, be appreciated down the road... besides you'll need someone to service everything.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom