Suggestion Please cancel the "I'm A Fish" designation on dive experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
You see divers with half a dozen dives using it...!

The idea of putting number of dives on dive experience here so that it would show up on posts was actually mine :D I think. The TechAdmin in charge of stuff then and I were chatting, he liked it, just did it, and it's been very helpful in some discussions - as the response we may give to someone with 6 dives tend to be different than those with 60 or 600. Those who choose to list "Not Certified" but then want to post as if Experienced think they're funny, I suppose - but they cause confusion, and when one list "I'm a Fish," you have no idea...??

I log... and when I reach 1000, I'm having it notarized...

I didn't read all the posts - so pardon me. But the reason I put down that "I am a fish" is because you can't judge me by the # of dives only. I am more experienced than most people with the # of dives I currently have. There is a huge difference between people with same # of dives - depending on their dives in various dive sites. For example, one person with same # of dives only dove in that lake with wetsuit while other person with same # of dives have dove in all over the world AND / OR have experienced with drysuit, etc...

ScubaJW:
I didn't read all the posts - so pardon me. But the reason I put down that "I am a fish" is because you can't judge me by the # of dives only. I am more experienced than most people with the # of dives I currently have. There is a huge difference between people with same # of dives - depending on their dives in various dive sites. For example, one person with same # of dives only dove in that lake with wetsuit while other person with same # of dives have dove in all over the world AND / OR have experienced with drysuit, etc...
Oh sure, that's all correct. To really have any idea, one must look at your profile, dive certs (none listed?), locations dived, and even then this does not prove anything. Just a starting point.

As it is, most won't look in your pofile, so - see above discussion posts... :D

I think that it's really you that don't get it. It is irrelevant to just look at a person's "logged dives" and judge on his/her's level of experience.

It is quite idiotic if a person believes everything of what is said online. A person could easily say "1000+" dives, but actually only had 10 dives. Are you really that gullible of the # a person puts under their profile information?

Like El Orans mentioned, "I'm a fish" is as valid as Instructors who claim to have not logged any dives... That really applies to ALL Of the "logged dives" - there is no way to prove the validity of a person's logged history - and it also does not even show the person's diving competence and experience anyway!

It's just a matter of perspective on how people look and believe at things

ScubaJW:
I think that it's really you that don't get it. It is irrelevant to just look at a person's "logged dives" and judge on his/her's level of experience.

It is quite idiotic if a person believes everything of what is said online. A person could easily say "1000+" dives, but actually only had 10 dives. Are you really that gullible of the # a person puts under their profile information?

Like El Orans mentioned, "I'm a fish" is as valid as Instructors who claim to have not logged any dives... That really applies to ALL Of the "logged dives" - there is no way to prove the validity of a person's logged history - and it also does not even show the person's diving competence and experience anyway!

It's just a matter of perspective on how people look and believe at things
Oh, it's fine to disagree - that's why we have discussion threads. Never take it personally. :D

I have over 250,000 frequent flier miles. Does that make me a bird?
:rofl3:

DandyDon:
Have you bid on the bridge I'm selling on ebay yet? Nice location between Brooklyn and Manhantan.

Wasn't that Jep's Bridge?

DiverBry:
Wasn't that Jep's Bridge?
I thot I had it sold to him, but I had to repossess - didn't make his payments.

Well I am a newer in structor with several hundred dives, but I find that my webbed feet toes make I'm a fish a more appropriate title.

Seriously though, if you give me something goofy to pick, I 'll pick it, look at my user name. If you want it to mean 5 digit dives, call it more than 10,000 dives.
But don't assume that people will know better then to pick "i'm a fish"

Back
Top Bottom