Suggestion Please cancel the "I'm A Fish" designation on dive experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
You see divers with half a dozen dives using it...!

The idea of putting number of dives on dive experience here so that it would show up on posts was actually mine :D I think. The TechAdmin in charge of stuff then and I were chatting, he liked it, just did it, and it's been very helpful in some discussions - as the response we may give to someone with 6 dives tend to be different than those with 60 or 600. Those who choose to list "Not Certified" but then want to post as if Experienced think they're funny, I suppose - but they cause confusion, and when one list "I'm a Fish," you have no idea...??

Yeah I was just thinking of this thead. How about we change it so that when anyone picks "I'm a fish," it shows up on their posts as "Full of myself." :D

Well I certainly take offense to that, seing as "i'm full of myself" certainly does not apply to me, now if you want to make an "i'm a goofy monkey" designation, I wil gladly hang that under my Cheeky name.

Cheekymonkey:
Well I certainly take offense to that, seing as "i'm full of myself" certainly does not apply to me, now if you want to make an "i'm a goofy monkey" designation, I wil gladly hang that under my Cheeky name.
No offense intended. See above posts. :wink:

Cheekymonkey:
Dandy i'm sure I can thank you for my title, so ty.
:rofl3: Uh, no - I had nothing to do that change. It was your idea, and someone with power here obliged.
...now if you want to make an "i'm a goofy monkey" designation, I wil gladly hang that under my Cheeky name.
For the record, I cannot be trusted with power, therefore have none. It does look good on ya....:eyebrow:

Sorry if this already came up. It doesn't matter how many dive you've logged, a person can call themselves a fish when they get 2 hours or more on a tank (80) in moderate depths (40-60 ft). That's impressive.

It really is not only the number of dives but what type of dives. I've been diving a lot this last year and a half but all in warm water, usually good vis areas. I used to dive cold water and it is totally different, our LDS owner here in Canada describes it as a different sport. Wreck diving is different from open water diving is different from cave or ice diving or deep diving for that matter.

I would venture to guess that there are few if any divers here who regularly dive in all different conditions in the course of a year. So, advice that may be applicable to one type of diving may not be relevant to other types. I think it's important to remember that for most diving questions, the may not be a definitive answer, although I often see them touted on the board.

Number of dives as an indication of experience? You would almost have to ask what type and include that as well. Oh yeah, I think one of the best ways to gauge experience is to see someone in the water.

DandyDon:
Yeah I was just thinking of this thead. How about we change it so that when anyone picks "I'm a fish," it shows up on their posts as "Full of myself." :D
You get that done and I'm never changing back...:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom