Suggestion Please cancel the "I'm A Fish" designation on dive experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
You see divers with half a dozen dives using it...!

The idea of putting number of dives on dive experience here so that it would show up on posts was actually mine :D I think. The TechAdmin in charge of stuff then and I were chatting, he liked it, just did it, and it's been very helpful in some discussions - as the response we may give to someone with 6 dives tend to be different than those with 60 or 600. Those who choose to list "Not Certified" but then want to post as if Experienced think they're funny, I suppose - but they cause confusion, and when one list "I'm a Fish," you have no idea...??

SoCalAngel:
I log my dives...I am so glad I have... I look back at them at each 100 marker and am amazed to see my progress with air and experioences...it is so worth it!

I liked the "I'm a fish" designation, but I am more into accuracy...:D
Oh, we're supposed to get better? :silly:

The I'm a fish designation is being used by newbies, which inhibits appropriate discussion with their questions, I think.

Walter:
Don, I agree. If you don't have logged dives in 5 digits, you shouldn't be calling yourself a fish.

I don't Walter, I'm not going to call myself a fish....sorry it isn't going to happen.:wink:

DandyDon:

The I'm a fish designation is being used by newbies, which inhibits appropriate discussion with their questions, I think.

Well, I do agree with you on how we differenitate how we speak to divers, here and IRL according to what they tell us their dive level and abilitys are. It is difficult for people to really understand that when they are new. SO what do we do, we learn to not give credibility to those people that think it's funny to put "I am a fish". They are either noobs or full of themselves... :rofl3:

DandyDon:

Again, I surf with the classic scubaboard theme, which doesn't display dive stats at all, and I have a pretty good idea of the dive experience of anyone that I'm responding to. I can't recall when I've felt that I gave anyone advice that was too advanced for their level. I don't understand why this is such a huge problem.

lamont:
I use the SB classic theme, so i don't see dive history under anyone's avatar anyway. its usually glaringly obvious how much experience someone has and/or how much insight they have.

So now that you know everyone else sees it what choice will you make? Continue to be a pretender or fess up?

SO what do we do, we learn to not give credibility to those people that think it's funny to put "I am a fish". They are either noobs or full of themselves...
Guess I'm the latter...:D

I EAT FISH!!!
oh, I don't log......I download though, sure wish that dive computer had GPS so it could tell me where I dove......and who I dove with(if anyone) I'm sure that I'll catch hell from my Deco Instructor when he wants to see my log.......and hell, I'm still a noob....no, that's not right,
I'm just a diver who EATS FISH!!!!!!

Don Janni:
So now that you know everyone else sees it what choice will you make? Continue to be a pretender or fess up?
Well, stating number of dives logged is optional. It is helpful in discussions, and if Lamont did complete that section correctly, his posts would be more meaningful to those who do not know anything about him.

If he skipped that section instead - like you seem to have done - then, at least it would not seem like he's poking fun at us. The content & quality of his posts leaves little room for doubt that he generally knows what he's talking about - he certainly adds a lot to the board. His "Not Certified" claim, like a few others here who are certainly more than certified, can distract from full appreciation of his posts, but it's his choice.

SO what do we do, we learn to not give credibility to those people that think it's funny to put "I am a fish". They are either noobs or full of themselves...
That's my reaction. I presume the latter when they list "Not Certified" when they clearly are.

mrjimboalaska:
I EAT FISH!!!
oh, I don't log......I download though, sure wish that dive computer had GPS so it could tell me where I dove......and who I dove with(if anyone) I'm sure that I'll catch hell from my Deco Instructor when he wants to see my log.......and hell, I'm still a noob....no, that's not right,
I'm just a diver who EATS FISH!!!!!!
My personal dive computer and PC download my dives, and there are optional areas for each dive where I can add location, notes, etc. Does yours not have this? About all I put in there is area, i.e. Puget Sound, Florida Keys, etc - but there is room for much more.

stu_in_fl:
doesn't a fish just have one really long dive.....
:luxhello:

:azvatar: :azvatar: :azvatar: :azvatar: :azvatar: :azvatar: :azvatar: I'm a fish,I'm a fish, I'm a fish

I think I'll go check the "I'm a fish" box. You can too!

Back
Top Bottom