Suggestion Please cancel the "I'm A Fish" designation on dive experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
You see divers with half a dozen dives using it...!

The idea of putting number of dives on dive experience here so that it would show up on posts was actually mine :D I think. The TechAdmin in charge of stuff then and I were chatting, he liked it, just did it, and it's been very helpful in some discussions - as the response we may give to someone with 6 dives tend to be different than those with 60 or 600. Those who choose to list "Not Certified" but then want to post as if Experienced think they're funny, I suppose - but they cause confusion, and when one list "I'm a Fish," you have no idea...??

I log my dives (most of 'em anyway) ... I balance my checkbook ... I even pay my credit cards off in full every month ...

... I'm just weird like that ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I log my dives. I find it fun, and sometimes it's a kick to look back and see what I was doing a year ago, or realize I met Bob on my 20th dive. I also dive a variety of equipment configurations, and keep track of weight and weight distribution through my log. It's useful -- I was one of the only divers on our Indonesia trip who was precisely properly weighted when I got in the water for the first dive!

Not only do I log my dives, but my logs are checked on a monthly basis.

I log mine now, and regret I didn’t log the ones before I was certified.

But back to Don’s original suggestion for a moment: perhaps we should go another way and add options.
Some that come to mind are:

- Too many to count.
- I don’t log my dives, but it’s a bunch.
- I lie about how many dives I’ve done.
etc.

If it wasn't for Reefguy, ffestpirate, and Sharkbaite, my log book would be a mess next month! Fortunately I'm getting everything from PC to book and comparing notes with them to get it all straight. I've been very poor about the log book upkeep since my shoulder surgery 2 years ago.

DandyDon:
You see divers with half a dozen dives using it...!

The idea of putting number of dives on dive experience here so that it would show up on posts was actually mine :D I think. The TechAdmin in charge of stuff then and I were chatting, he liked it, just did it, and it's been very helpful in some discussions - as the response we may give to someone with 6 dives tend to be different than those with 60 or 600. Those who choose to list "Not Certified" but then want to post as if Experienced think they're funny, I suppose - but they cause confusion, and when one list "I'm a Fish," you have no idea...??
When I review my logs from long ago and the some of the lost memories are brought back, I realize how big of a mistake it was not to log all of my dives. I really don't know how many dives/hours I have. My profile is just a rough guesstimate. I wish I would have kept more of a dive journal rather than just the standard dive profile and "saw a fish, eel, etc." Now, I put the profile on a slate after each dive and later when the dive day is done and whilst having a little liquid decompression I fill out my log.

But back to Don's suggestion, yes, get rid of the, "I'm a fish" designation. Fish don't know anything about SCUBA anyway.

I attended a Lubbock scuba club meeting the other night, playing some fun poker for nothing, and after a while one of the others asked me about my diving. I asked him how many dives he had? "About 18."

He asked me? "311"

I don't know if its' important or not, but I do think it's good for a newbie, and I just kept logging - at least the numbers, locations, and reports.

I log, otherwise I forget...
I freely admit that beyond time, place & buddy, not much shows up in my logs, specially if I´m "serial-diving" but thats usually enough to jog my memory enough to remember the dive...
My next big thing is to log my SAC but that won´t happen till I get one of those "computer-connector-thingies" for my dive-comp and I´m a bit too cheap to just bite the bullet, I´ll propably procrastinate for another 6months...

I log my dives...I am so glad I have... I look back at them at each 100 marker and am amazed to see my progress with air and experioences...it is so worth it!

I liked the "I'm a fish" designation, but I am more into accuracy...:D

Back
Top Bottom