PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what went wrong, but there are eight within 50 miles of London UK. Some may be better than others, but do the phone thingy. Dealer Locator - ACR ARTEX
I called a few shops they didn’t have the 410 in stock.

The price seems to be 30-40% more for the 410 though. o_O

I called a few shops they didn’t have the 410 in stock.

The price seems to be 30-40% more for the 410 though. o_O
Surely one of them would order it for you.

Surely one of them would order it for you.
Yea I probably won’t do a sea dive until next year now.

So I’ll check then.

I understand that, but ACR and other PLB companies aren't likely to produce and market a unit not approved in the US.
Actually they do market beacons that are not sold in the US for other countries. Some countries require, or don't require components that the US does, and those beacons may be sold only in those countries.

Question for all you Resqlink users.
I live in Canada but most of my diving is in Florida so far. I am thinking of getting a Resqlink and am wondering if I should buy one registered for Canada or for the USA?
I don’t quite understand if I can use one registered in Canada in the US or Mexico or anywhere else.
Thanks

I should be getting a "Nautilus Lifeline Marine Rescue GPS" today. I may not need it yet, because I mostly dive in lakes with no current and decent boat-traffic, but I saw a killer deal pop up. Plus, I might not have time to PLB shop whenever I randomly decide to go on an ocean or vacation-dive. I guess it's like insurance you only have to buy once.

I've read they occasionally/rarely flood and to be careful to not over-tighten the screw, so I was thinking of double-bag-vacuum-sealing it after putting some batteries in it, and just cut it open when needed or to check functioning occasionally. Alternatively, putting it in a 2nd housing depending on it's size.

Since this thread is 121 pages long, does anyone have a good recommendation for SOLAS fabric or tape? I can obviously grab a random brand off Amazon, but figured people might have a favorite or tested one they'd recommend. I'm also good with a sewing machine, so fabric preferred if possible.

Question for all you Resqlink users.
I live in Canada but most of my diving is in Florida so far. I am thinking of getting a Resqlink and am wondering if I should buy one registered for Canada or for the USA?
I don’t quite understand if I can use one registered in Canada in the US or Mexico or anywhere else.
Thanks
You have to register it in your home country, but can use it anywhere. Mine is registered in the US, but I carry it in Mexico and Honduras as well as anywhere else I go in the US. Take it anywhere you travel between dives.
I should be getting a "Nautilus Lifeline Marine Rescue GPS" today. I may not need it yet, because I mostly dive in lakes with no current and decent boat-traffic, but I saw a killer deal pop up. Plus, I might not have time to PLB shop whenever I randomly decide to go on an ocean or vacation-dive. I guess it's like insurance you only have to buy once.
Get a PLB and carry it in your car, backpack, or wherever you go. There are many cellphone dead spots around the Lone Star State. For best results always have your contact know of your travels so if you do fire it from a car wreck in a gulley somewhere, they'll confirm that you were traveling there.

Get a dive canister for the odd ocean trip.
I've read they occasionally/rarely flood and to be careful to not over-tighten the screw, so I was thinking of double-bag-vacuum-sealing it after putting some batteries in it, and just cut it open when needed or to check functioning occasionally. Alternatively, putting it in a 2nd housing depending on it's size.
If you do go with the Nautilus, call the company and discuss the risks with them. They'll know about the mistakes others have made and how to avoid them.

We've had a few interested parties ask about PLB containers since the DRYFOB car key container came out, just wanted to share that our PLB container is available and supports all popular PLB models. Available at https://dryfob.com/shop/ Expect to be shipping this week.

Lab thought they could do a lot better than 100m but we set that as the test depth for certification..

DRYFOB XL PLB Container Specifications​

Outer DimensionsTop: 3.07” (78mm), Bottom: 2.91” (74mm)
Overall Height5.51” (140mm)
Inner Cavity SizeHeight: 4.80” (122 mm), Diameter: 2.75” (70 mm)
Weight7.8 oz (221g)
BuoyancyApproximate buoyancy: 11.9 oz (338G) depends on remaining air/PLB size
Max DepthIPx8 certified to 330ft (100m)

This DRYFOB for PLB's sounds like something I have been waiting for.
A few questions:
1. Country of Origin?
2, The Warranty Policy states 90 Days and also 12 months?
3. Do you have photos with a PLB inside the DRYFOB?

Apologies if it’s been hashed over but my search-fu is weak. What’s the general consensus on the Garmin In-reach mini? Size is attractive and looks like the newer one can be activated with a descent watch instead of needing to be taken out of the housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom