plastic cage thingie on SP MK-25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
There's a plastic cage sort of thing that comes on the swivel of the Scubapro MK-25 first stage. Does anyone know if that thing serves any legitimate purpose?

Thanks,

Tom

WreckWriter once bubbled...
There's a plastic cage sort of thing that comes on the swivel of the Scubapro MK-25 first stage. Does anyone know if that thing serves any legitimate purpose?

Thanks,

Tom

I hope not.I tossed mine.It was more of a pain and collected grit and sand.I guess if its important enough ill put it back on.

It serves to trap salt water and greatly accelerate corrosion :boom:

You did the right thing removing it - mine's gone, and so is my dive buddy's.

SP doesn't even put them on there anymore. So don't worry about tossing it.

Chad

The early Mk20's didn't have them. None shown on '97 schematics. They were added to the later models and show up in the '00 schematics. Can't see that it serves any purpose other than appearance and maybe a little bump protection for the metal finish. On the other hand, if it is a problem keeping it clean, you may have a really good science project under the other rubber cap on the HP end.

I have the plastic cage thinggy on the end of my MK2. I had the same question when I first saw it. Is it safe to assume it serves no useful purpose on this model as well?

well, it does serve to protect the reg from impact/abrasions which will in itself lead to the increased possibility of corrosion. The cap on the HP end (my mk20) can easily be popped off for cleaning and the cage on the LP end is loose enough that anyone can easily rinse this area out. If you give it a good rinse, you shouldn't have any problems with corrosion. If you really have a complaint against this, what do you think about the main spring being exposed? There's all kinds of nooks and crannies to trap dirt and salt.

Back
Top Bottom